I slept for a whopping twelve hours yesterday, wow! I was having some insomnia and ended up staying awake almost 24 hours, finally feeling sleepy I only expected to sleep for a short time. Big surprise for me when I woke up much later, very thirsty and quite a bit hungry. At least I feel mostly rested and a little bit less achy than I did previously, so clearly my body needed it.

Today’s tea from Teavivre is Guang Dong Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong Tea, a curly leafed oolong from Phoenix Mountain (or Feng Huang Shan) in Guangdong Province, China. I love curly leaf oolongs, mainly because steeping them gongfu cha style is very entertaining. In order to get the tastiest results, it is best to do really quick steeps, think around five seconds at the long end. These short steeps are very fun and change up the experience. I am getting ahead of myself, before I can think about steeping, I need to sniff the leaves! The aroma of the long, twisted leaves is a blend of sweet and sharp. There are notes of dried cherry and smoke with a finish of orchids and sweet potatoes.

After the very quick bath in the gaiwan, the leaves have an aroma similar to the dry leaves. It is smoky, more like coals than a roaring campfire. There is also the aroma of cherries, but it smells like fresh black cherries (I might have recently eaten those, just for reference) and it is nicely sweet. There is a finish of orchids, but it is just a passing wisp. The liquid has a faint coal and cherry with a hint of lychee, it is tantalizingly sweet.

The first steep is quite smooth, a very refreshing mouthfeel with really enjoyable effect that causes you to salivate. The taste is fairly light, a very sweet blend of cherries and lychees with a hint of pine resin. At the finish there is a little bit of coal, but mostly this tea is all sweetness.

Intense! The aroma of the second steep is so intensely sweet and fruity with notes of cherries and lychees. There is a nice finish of pine resin and orchids. It is one of those moments where I sniffed the tea and made funny noises because it smelled so good. This steep’s mouthfeel is dry in comparison to the first, but it still has the salivary effect that very quickly balances out the dryness. The taste is a pretty balanced blend of coal and fruity sweetness with hints of orchid and pine resin at the finish. The aftertaste is slightly bitter coal, which is an interesting contrast to earlier’s sweetness.

Teas I can get many steeps out of make me a happy sipper, so does the aroma of the third steep. It s intensely sweet and fruity, notes of honey and fruit nectar. It is very rich but also delicate, just like fresh fruit. Lke the previous steep the mouthfeel is dry and causes a salivary affect. The taste of this steep is a bit lighter, mostly sweet fruit with a nice finish of coal that gives the tea a slightly savory finish.

Oooh, we have a nice change for the fourth steep’s aroma, where the previous ones have been quite sweet, this one is primarily coal and a fresh vegetation, alpine aroma. The taste is quite sweet and very light, it starts out cherries and fades to lychee, and then a finish of peaches. My tea is turning into a combination of some of my favorite fruits! There is the tiniest hint of coal at the finish, and the mouthfeel is smooth until the end where it turns dry.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/teavivre-guang-dong-phoenix-dan-cong.html

Flavors: Char, Cherry, Lychee, Peach, Smoke

TeaBrat

ha, I did the same thing yesterday!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

hehe, it seemed to be a day for it ;)

Comments

TeaBrat

ha, I did the same thing yesterday!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

hehe, it seemed to be a day for it ;)

I am a nerdy, obsessive, crafty, tea blogging, gaming nut. Yeah, that about sums me up! Ok, you want something more informative….

I am a Geek, hardcore fan-girl Geek. It shapes my life. I spend a lot of time making things out of perler beads and I bet you can guess what inspires them. Other than the obsessive pixelizing of things I spend a large portion of my time doing origami (especially Lucky Stars and modular geometric designs) it is an equal obsession. I hoard dice, get obsessed with games, and will talk about whatever fandom, game, etc that I am obsessed over until I am blue in the face. I am not just a gamer girl type Geek, I also fit in the collecting knowledge and spending way too much time reading, category of Geek.

But there is more to me than just being a giant nerd. I love tea, always have and have just gotten more and more obsessed as I get older. I love trying new teas and then writing lengthy descriptions about them, I love reading and researching the history and culture of tea, I love collecting tea pots and fancy tea tools.

When the weather allows it, I love to go mushroom hunting. I don’t eat them, instead I use them for photography and spore prints. It is my dream to one day become a Mycologist studying slime molds.

I have Fibromyalgia, it sucks, but I feel people who are going to interact with me should know since I tend to vanish because of it. So fair warning!!

I also have cats, love the ocean and all aquatic life, love cheese, and collect hats.

My favorite tea is definitely Oolong, but I also love Japanese greens and…ok I just love tea actually :P I am not a huge fan of lemony teas or tart fruit teas. I also loathe lemongrass (usually)

This is my actual tea wishlist, you know that I actually update and keep track of…I tend to forget Steepster’s https://www.facebook.com/notes/amanda-wilson/tea-wishlishtshopping-list-perpetually-in-progress/10152336515414411 I use my steepster WL to keep track of teas I have had and really want more of :P

Kansas City, MO