Holy mackerel this tea is delicious! It tastes like a blend between a 20yr aged Yancha (shui xian variety) and a Hong Shui…two teas that I am gaga about. The aroma of the dry leaves is pretty faint, a bit of smoke and caramel with a hint of tobacco, the wet leaves come alive with the same aromas but stronger and a touch of distant orchids. The liquid is smoky, burnt sugar, tobacco, and a touch of loam.

The taste is pretty intense…loamy, caramelized sugar, tobacco, smoke…delicious! With each steep it gets sweeter and a touch floral…like the ghost of the possibly floral oolong it was before.

I really need to try more aged oolongs, they never let me down..

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Loam, Orchid, Smoke

KiwiDelight

This sounds so gooood.

donkeytiara

holy mackerel…. that made me smile…. now I’m wondering where the phrase originated from…. oh, and on the tea front, one day I’ll figure out a “bridge” tea between black/red and oolongs…. not quite yet though…

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

That is a good question! I love finding out where random phrases and such originate…to the googly machine for research! Hehe…

I had a 99% oxidized oolong that could be a good stepping stone, it has qualities of both red and oolong, but it is not smoked or aged.

bizbee1

last time I heard that term was when a dolphin leaped past us with one (mackerel) in its mouth. I thought that was the best use of the term!

Comments

KiwiDelight

This sounds so gooood.

donkeytiara

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

bizbee1

My Rating Guide, This is a personal rating and not necessarily a reflection of the tea’s quality
100-Must have on hand, it is one of my favorite teas
85-99-Really good teas, like exquisitely good
65-84-Not bad, they can be good but generic, or just teas that I found enjoyably ok.
40-64-Not a favorite, but not terrible. I would drink it if it was in front of me but I doubt I would seek it out on my own.
20-40-Not the best tea ever, either it was not to my liking or it was really bland. Chances are I would turn this one down unless I was really thirsty.
0-19-No, just no. Either there was something wrong with this tea or it was utterly undrinkable by me.

I am a nerdy, obsessive, crafty, tea blogging, gaming nut. Yeah, that about sums me up! Ok, you want something more informative….

I am a Geek, hardcore fan-girl Geek. It shapes my life. I spend a lot of time making things out of perler beads and I bet you can guess what inspires them. Other than the obsessive pixelizing of things I spend a large portion of my time doing origami (especially Lucky Stars and modular geometric designs) it is an equal obsession. I hoard dice, get obsessed with games, and will talk about whatever fandom, game, etc that I am obsessed over until I am blue in the face. I am not just a gamer girl type Geek, I also fit in the collecting knowledge and spending way too much time reading, category of Geek.

But there is more to me than just being a giant nerd. I love tea, always have and have just gotten more and more obsessed as I get older. I love trying new teas and then writing lengthy descriptions about them on my blog, I love reading and researching the history and culture of tea, I love collecting tea pots and fancy tea tools.

When the weather allows it, I love to go mushroom hunting. I don’t eat them, instead I use them for photography and spore prints. It is my dream to one day become a Mycologist studying slime molds.

I have Fibromyalgia, it sucks, but I feel people who are going to interact with me should know since I tend to vanish because of it. So fair warning!!

I also have cats, love the ocean and all aquatic life, love cheese, and collect hats.

My favorite tea is definitely Oolong, but I also love Japanese greens and…ok I just love tea actually :P I am not a huge fan of lemony teas or tart fruit teas. I also loathe hibiscus (usually)

This is my actual tea wishlist, you know that I actually update and keep track of…I tend to forget Steepster’s https://www.facebook.com/notes/amanda-wilson/tea-wishlishtshopping-list-perpetually-in-progress/10152336515414411 I use my steepster WL to keep track of teas I have had and really want more of :P

Kansas City, MO