Yay I get to have the first tasting note on this one!

I will start out with a story: I have been a bad spender these last few months since we came to Ontario. With a Davidstea so close, and being on steepster all the time, I’ve been buying a lot of tea. My hubby finally has a job, but we are still trying to catch up from the last few months and my tea addiction wasn’t helping. So after putting in an order with Red Leaf, and two orders with Della Terra, and an order with 52 teas in January, I put myself and my best tea buddy here on a no tea buying month until Davids Spring collection comes out March 6th!

BUT THEN THIS TEA HAPPENED! I love flavoured oolongs. Well I love all oolongs but I am always looking for amazing flavored ones. And so I knew I couldn’t buy it because 1) Shipping to Canada is now crazy 2) I was on the no tea buying restraint and I had already broken it for the iHeartteas sale. Which as a side note, my friend who was also no allowed to by tea responded as such: “WHAT YOU BOUGHT TEA! BAD!” Me: “It was such a good sale! I got 2 bags of 52teas discontinued blends for $12!” Her: “Why didn’t you tell me….” Me: “I didn’t want us both to fall of the bandwagon” Her: “But why didn’t you tell me so I could get some too…” We are bad enablers.

ANYWAYS so my husband and I have been doing gifts to each other every month for our anniversary, leading up to our one year of being married. We think its a nice way to let the other one know we still care, and we alternate so it’s like every other month one of us is being spoiled. So far my hubby is winning, he got me: A steeper, dinner at my favorite restaurant, candy, and now this tea because I basically begged him to get it. Yesterday was our “mockaversary” because February doesn’t have a 30 in it. So much to my “surprise” I got a bag of this!

And that is how I almost avoided buying tea for a whole month, while still getting one of the most exciting blends I’ve seen in a while.

On to the tea: I brewed this one up for 2.5 minutes. The dry leaf smells sweet and tangy. I literally couldn’t stop smelling the bag last night. It is a lot stronger than I expected based on Frank’s description, but I am totally ok with that. Brewed up it is a nice light gold colour. On tasting I am first hit with the sweet/tart cranberry, and then as it mellows on my tongue the smoothness of the oolong comes through. Definitely happy to have gotten to try this one, it is a keeper! I think cranberry anything is fantastic and I am happy to have the cranberry hugging my friend oolong here.

EDIT: I lied, and I cannot lie to your Steepsterites, I also went to Davids once and bought 3 15 gram samplers of some Mates. I was there with a friend…it was a semi successful no tea buying month. Luckily the Spring collection comes out Wednesday and I will be all over that. I may even get a new mug/pot :D

EDIT 2: I remember now why also we evoked No Tea Buying month, it’s because my friend and I had also placed an online DavidsTea order because they were discontinuing so many things. And then the next day we took advantage of Red Leaf’s new customer 50% deal. So within 2 days we had both spent $70 on tea, in addition to all the other tea I had already bought in January. I need to give myself an allowance.

KeenTeaThyme

Such a cute anniversary idea too! :)

Sweet Canadian

Thanks Keen! I have been just getting him lots of chocolate, because that’s what he likes :)

Kittenna

I keep trying to go on a tea-buying hiatus, but it is so far ineffective.

Kittenna

Also, glad to hear this one’s good! I have half a package on the way :)

Sara Michelle

DO YOU NOT THINK I READ THESE?!?! I WAS SOOOOO GOOD! I DID NOT BREAK THE PACT!!!! bahahahaha you’re hilarious though :)

Comments

KeenTeaThyme

Such a cute anniversary idea too! :)

Sweet Canadian

Kittenna

I keep trying to go on a tea-buying hiatus, but it is so far ineffective.

Kittenna

Also, glad to hear this one’s good! I have half a package on the way :)

Sara Michelle

My love affair with tea began in 2008 when I was living abroad in France. I have since collected teas from all over the world, and enjoy a nice cuppa in the morning. I enjoy mate, black, and herbal tea the best. I am adventuring out a bit into oolong and white teas. Tea is one of my favorite things in the world, and I hope my posts reflect my lighthearted approach to life.

I am a grad student in Ontario where I live with my husband. I study Canadian-American relations and examine Canadian identity through this lens.

Canada