drank Queen of Babylon by Teavana

2nd tea of the day! I steeped this at a slightly lower temp. than usual (175 F). This is a very back and forth tea for me. Although I do enjoy the flavor and the leaves are much more in the forefront in comparison to other Teavana teas; the price is not great ($15/2 oz). I say this simply because even though there are many teas at this price or higher I find that the tea-to-filler ratio is off. If I’m paying this much I really want tea; not just dried fruits. This begs the question: Should tea be for everyone or is it a luxury? This question of price should, in my opinion, be more important to the Teavana owners. On one hand they want to appeal to the masses with things like health benefits and their expanding physical stores. On the other hand the prices make it not an option for much of what I think should be their target audience: students.
Now back to the tea! This tea has a great smell; it blends pear and apple in the front end of the sip with much more subtle pomegranate notes in the background. The flavor is always crisp and fruity. I have noticed it is not a picky tea and over-steeping rarely causes this blend to get bitter/astringent. Overall this is a nice tea and I would recommend it as one of the best white teas Teavana offers.

SimpliciTEA

I haven’t had this one, but I have also found that many of their teas have a disproportionately high ratio of flavoring ‘stuff’ to actual tea.

Students as a target audience, huh? Interesting. As you say, their prices certainly do tend to be higher than those on a very limited budget could afford (even though I am not a student, I consider myself in that category). I find H&S’s prices to be much more reasonable.

Tamm

Yup! I say students because I don’t see a lot of teens being able to financially support a tea habit and not a lot of adults I know would go to the mall simply for tea. On the online site I could see a lot more adults; but physical stores are normally packed with 20 year olds in my area.
I also think that from my experience with H&S I can see that their teas have a better price than many of the Teavana teas. I think that, at least around here, they have much less visibility. They only sell it at Williams Sonoma and in the Starbucks at Barnes & Noble.
I think visibility of the product can be a difficult hurdle for those selling tea. Most people I know think that tea is confined to Lipton or other grocery store type teas. I don’t live in a tea-drinking state so there are limited tea shops. I think that in this area Teavana has the success they do because people think it is more of a unique product or a commodity.

Comments

SimpliciTEA

Tamm

Hello tea drinkers! I’m updating this to let everyone know about my new blog:
I’m just a humble tea drinking student who loves to read and study! :)