drank Genmai Matcha by Rishi Tea

The little bean woke up at 5am today. I got her back to sleep and had just gotten back to sleep again when she was up again at 5:40, got her back down just in time to get the 13 year old up for school. Any second now, I expect to hear the creaking of the 3 year old’s door. I need something strong this morning.

I’ve been trying to cull through my overly eager tea collection and found this tin of rishi that I must have bought at the store when I got my breville and was buying any and all tea that looked interesting. Anyway, as I’m knee deep in a genmai matcha phase, it’s perfect timing. Except that its labeled best by nov 2012. Oh well.

It says to use 1 TABLEspoon per 8oz. That’s crazy! So in my 16oz mug, I put 6 tsp of tea. Steeped for a minute and boom! That S—- is strong! I even looked on their website to see if it was a misprint. Nope.

I like it a lot. It’s nice and toasty and the right amount of sweet for me (which isn’t much — in fact, my ultimate version of this tea would be a tad salty). But seriously, 1 Tbsp per cup means I’m going to blow through this already small tin, and considering I bought it at whole foods, I’m sure it wasn’t cheap.

Definitely glad I found it buried back there though. It was probably even better back in November!

I love tea. And I love beer. I spent my twenties thoroughly enjoying all that beer has to offer but now that I’m into my thirties and a stay at home mom of 2 little kids and 1 big kid, I spend more time enjoying tea.

I joined steepster in Feb 2013 and it’s crazy how much my tastes have changed since joining. Before, I liked cream and honey in all teas and loved mostly dessert blacks. Now I almost rarely drink them, but enjoy them from time to time. What I love more than anything are straight rich black teas, Fujian, Laoshan, Rizhao, etc… I also love pretty much any black tea that the little leaf hoppers have gotten their teeth on.

I’m still not too into the green/white/oolong varieties. I keep trying to but my tastes are evolving pretty slowly on that front.

Overall, I just enjoy tea. Something about it that just settles me.

Portland, OR