drank Silk Dragon by The Tea Merchant

I’ve been so spoiled with amazing teas lately! The Tea Merchant sent me this free sample that sounded like a very unique & interesting blend. Also, I really love that it was packaged with an old-timey wax seal with the company logo!

First steep: 3 1/3 min.
The scent of the unsteeped leaves is intriguing and delicious! I don’t think I’ve heard of a vanilla flavored oolong before. Vanilla anything is my absolute favorite. The steep color is a light yellow. The flavor is very vanilla! Yum! There isn’t too much of an oolong flavor, however. I also can’t tell that there is lemon myrtle here. It is subtle — but I think it might be making the vanilla taste unusual!

Second steep: 5 min.
The vanilla flavor seems to have disappeared a bit but the oolong flavor has gotten stronger! It’s evolving… most oolongs seem to do that more than any other tea. I wonder why there aren’t more oolong teas with vanilla, since they seem to compliment each other well!

Third steep: 6 mins
The vanilla flavor is still disappearing but the oolong is getting even better. It has that lovely floral taste that the best oolongs have. The steep still has the same yellow color too.

Fourth steep: 9 mins
The oolong flavor seems to have become weaker now and there is a tangy flavor to it. But that may be because I had it steeping for 9 mins with just boiled water. I’d say the best steep for the vanilla flavor was the first and the best steep for the oolong flavor was the third.

On my new oolong flavor scale of one (lightest & floral) to five (stronger), I’d say this is a two. It was fun to see the oolong taste get better as the vanilla disappeared. Very unique! Another tea I’ll have to buy when my tea stash gets lower! Overall, a delicious blend from a great new company! I can’t wait to see what they do next!

gmathis

Saved my leaves—looking forward to trying a second steep. This was excellent.