drank Formosa Oolong by ESP Emporium

How am I the first to review this? I got this as a sample with my order a while back. The unsteeped leaves have a strange but nice scent. It’s hard to describe but it is different than any other tea I’ve tried.

First steep – 4 mins
The steep color is a lighter yellow but sadly the strange scent to the unsteeped leaves isn’t in the cup. The flavor is light and really good. It doesn’t have much of a floral to it. It’s more buttery. There is a slight tangy flavor too (not in a bad way — it makes it interesting), but there is also a sweetness to it to balance it. I recently read that some oolongs have caffiene. Now how am I supposed to know when they do? Sometimes oolong is my go-to late night tea, but now I’m not so sure.

Second cup – 7 minutes
This had more of that floral oolong flavor, but still buttery. On my oolong flavor meter where one is the lightest and most floral and five is strongest and could be confused with a black tea, this is a two! I love that all oolongs are so different. This one is simple yet very interesting!

Kittenna

Pretty sure all oolongs have caffeine… all true teas (Camellia sinensis) do. There’s debate on which tea has more (oolong, black, green, white), but they all should be caffeinated to some degree.

Tea Sipper

Interesting! I had no idea.. it also could be why I never sleep after drinking ANY tea so late at night.

Kittenna

Yeah, I think there are a LOT of myths circulating out there, but that’s my understanding of it. Stick to herbals or rooibos/honeybush to sleep at night :) I think I can get away with a cup or two of caffeinated tea sometimes, if I’m particularly tired, but other times it wakes me up… not good!