drank Indian Chai by Element Tea

I made the mistake of not realizing this had actual black tea in the blend instead of just the usual chai spices… because I steeped it late at night. Hopefully I can get some sleep tonight! The black tea isn’t the typical “leaves” which is why I guess it is called indian black tea. It looks like little stones or small chunks rather than leaves. My two ounce bag has mostly black tea — not much spice! But somehow the flavor is spicy. Not too spicy, but pretty good. I actually wonder where all the flavor came from. There is also a nice slight vanilla flavor. The steep color is a gorgeous dark reddish brown.

gmathis

A friend just brought me a bag of something very similar, hand-ground (she watched the guy) at a coffee house in North Arkansas. I don’t think there’s a tea leaf in it, but they call it chai and oh, man, does it smell good. Peppercorn and fennel and I’m not sure what all else. Now if the temperature will drop about 30 degrees to make chai weather…