drank Fenghuang Oolong by foojoy

Thanks so much TeaEqualsBliss for including this one in our swap. I think I’ve reviewed most of the teas you’ve sent me — a few more to go!

I had a Verdant oolong the other day that I really wanted to steep right. Thankfully, I looked on their site how to steep and was surprised that it only needed 25-35 seconds. I know I would have ruined it with a steep time of around 3 or 4 minutes if I didn’t look. The flavor was heavenly with just seconds — I’m shocked with so much flavor so quick. Anyway, I’m worried I’ve been steeping my oolongs for too long now. Should most oolongs be steeped for seconds or does it depend on the tea? I guess I could just taste test them as they are steeping. I’ll play it safe from now on.

This one is special.
First steep – 48 seconds – The leaves are very black, long and twisty. I don’t think I’ve had an oolong like this one before. The infused leaves are green now, barely unraveled and they have an amazing scent, much different from the tea flavor. The flavor starts with a lovely peach, my favorite. Then a tiny hint of grassiness and I could have swore some spice. This one has a nice creme flavor to it. A full flavor. Absolutely delicious.

Second steep – 60 seconds I think this one steeped too hot or too long. It’s kind of bitter. That’s too bad — the first cup was so good.

Third steep – 60 seconds The water is cooler so it tastes sweet again, but it’s missing the peachiness and the creaminess the first cup had. The first cup was the best one, which is unusual for oolongs I’ve tried, but that was probably my fault for the way it was brewed.

With my oolong flavor rating where one is the lightest and most floral and five is the stronger flavor, I’d give this on a three. Probably a favorite oolong of mine, but there are so many of them and they are so different! I will treasure the few cups of this I have left. Sadly, I don’t see it on the FooJoy site, but I don’t think you can buy any teas from their site anyway. How did I possibly survive before tea?

Bonnie

I had one last night at 4 minutes so it depends. I think you have to know the oolong. Some are short and some long steep timers.