Another one from Nicole! Thanks so much — it’s very appreciated! This one sounds interesting! It looks really delicious too — very dark leaves for an oolong with hints of red.

First steep —waited around 10 minutes for the water to cool. Then I would infuse for 20 seconds, take the infuser out, sip a bit of it, and then steep for another 20 seconds. I did that until I got to two and a half minutes. Somehow, the flavor stayed consistent. I wasn’t finding the magic in this cup like others have found. There is like a light charcoal flavor and fragrance. I wasn’t finding the apple or anything else fruity that others have mentioned. There really wasn’t any typical oolong flavors here. There is something oaty and vegetal about it. It also dries the mouth a bit. It’s a tough one to describe.

Second steep — I used just boiled water and steeped for one minute. I couldn’t taste test right away — the water was too hot! But it tastes exactly the same as the first cup.

I can’t really tell if this is a tea that you should steep for around 15 seconds or minutes. It seems to taste the same either way. The Mountain site wasn’t too helpful either! I don’t dislike this one, I just think I’m missing something!

Alphakitty

Is this an oolong? I know it looks like one but on their site it is listed as a black tea

Tea Sipper

I was confused about it to… on their site it’s under ‘dark oolongs’. Hmm.

Nicole

I thought it was oolong based on their site but maybe it’s a black

Tea Sipper

No, I think it’s an oolong. I think Alphakitty is just reading it as a black tea from the name. I was doing that too. I originally thought it was an oolong/black hybrid. :D

Alphakitty

No, they actually refer to it as a black tea in the description—“beautiful Sumatran black tea.” It was also listed as a black for their Black Friday sale and then went into the dark oolong section afterwards.

Tea Sipper

What the… I guess Mountain is confused too. To me, it tasted a lot like the monkey picked oolong I had from zentealife.com a couple weeks ago.

Comments

Alphakitty

Tea Sipper

I was confused about it to… on their site it’s under ‘dark oolongs’. Hmm.

Nicole

I thought it was oolong based on their site but maybe it’s a black

Tea Sipper

Some of my favorite teas:
teavivre.com
verdanttea.com
steapshoppe.com
thenecessiteas.com
Specialteas

My dislikes: hibiscus, ginger (unless in chai), charcoal type flavors

My ratings: