drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

Additional notes: I thought I’d try one teaspoon of this one from teabox B in case it was different from my Laoshan sample. But this one seems to be the same as my sample… maybe a bit tangier than I remembered. I have no idea how this could be one of the best black teas — it’s enjoyable but not my favorite. Not enough dark black flavor for me! Not the chocolate, caramel decadence I’ve been hearing about. The second steep I swear only went for four minutes but the flavor was everything I didn’t like about the first steep… very tangy and oaky but not really astringent. I think the first batch is giving the second (or whatever number batch this is) a bad name!

Side note: I’m much more in love with the movie The Warriors they seem to be playing every week.. in all it’s goofy glory goodness. I hate when cable plays the same movies every week but they can play this one as much as they want!

Bonnie

I’ve been drinking this tea for almost 2 years and always use filtered water, a little extra leaf, western style brewing and keep the steep at couple minutes (certainly not 4). The correct brew basket makes a difference. I detest shallow ones where the tea leaves don’t get enough contact with the water. Mine is deep so the results are never insipid.
Hope I haven’t been too annoying.

Tea Sipper

Not annoying! Always looking for advice, especially if I might be brewing a really great tea incorrectly. It seems like I followed your instructions, except for the four minutes. Definitely too long, but I was hoping for a stronger flavor. Two minutes seems like it would be too light (definitely not the chocolate flavor I keep hearing about) but I will try two minutes next time.

Shelley_Lorraine

I gave this tea several tries myself, trying to figure out where the magic was, but I determined that it wasn’t the right kind of black tea for my palate. All of my family loved it, so I know I must have brewed it ok enough. Oh well, can’t love em all, even among the best of the best.

Uniquity

I really like this one, but I find it heartening that there are others who don’t. I frequently end up being the lone dissenter and it makes me worry that my tastes are off. Rather I think everyone has their own and it’s cool to reflect that.:)

Bonnie

Sometimes it’s another factor…I found out that there are some flavors that I can’t taste at all. Some Green tea’s are completely zero, so when they’re the base used in a blend…I have a problem. I can taste verdants stronger laoshan green but not butiki’s eggnog. Different green tea’s. My point is…we not only have likes, but our biology plays a part too.

Comments

Bonnie

Hope I haven’t been too annoying.

Tea Sipper

Shelley_Lorraine

Uniquity

Bonnie

Some of my favorite teas:
teavivre.com
verdanttea.com
steapshoppe.com
thenecessiteas.com
Specialteas

My dislikes: hibiscus, ginger (unless in chai), charcoal type flavors

My ratings: