I’ve been seeing this one raved about by various Steepsterers, so I needed to try the sample that Terri Harplady sent over! thanks so much! I’m not in love with Laoshan Black, and hopefully I don’t end up liking it more, since I’d rather there be a COUPLE teas I don’t actually like! I can’t like them all! This one sounded divine… the chocolate pieces I had to try very hard to not gobble up (hopefully I’ll be devouring enough Halloween candy in the next few days anyway.) There was about three teaspoons in my sample so I went with a teaspoon and half this time around, so I’d have another steep session for later.

Steep #1 // a few minutes after boiling // 3 min
I was pleased that this one had the oolong I’ve tried separately that reminds me of pumpkin – that might have been the lower steep time however. It seemed the flavors would work well together! The flavor is better to me that Laoshan Black on its own. All of the elements give it more depth and strength. Maybe one day my palate can appreciate the Laoshan on its own, but I like my black teas stronger these days. But this is lovely. The chocolate and the rice add subtle touches, while the oolong does give it a pumpkin-like flavor. Very appropriate for the time of year! I’ve never really seen a rice like this before either.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
This cup was just as good as the first. I do like this blend more than the Laoshan black own, since there is more depth. These three extra ingredients really enhance the flavors that are already sort of in the Laoshan Black anyway. I can see this working for a nice base for many blends.

I want to say that my tasting notes are usually very matter-of-fact which probably get boring but I do very much appreciate everyone’s tasting notes — usually much better than mine! I thought when I started that Steepster was just a way for my own brain to remember how I liked a tea or steeping parameters, so I’m honored if anyone is actually reading these things.

Stephanie

Your notes are always very thorough :) I appreciate thoroughness when deciding if I want to try a new tea or not!

caile

Yes, your tasting notes are great! :-)

Dexter

I actually read tasting notes!! I find it fascinating how different people perceive the same teas differently.
I love both this and Laoshan Black. I find it interesting that you don’t care for Laoshan Black.
That’s what I love about Steepster is seeing all the different opinions. :))

MissB

I’ll chime in too – I love your tasting notes, and I read them (and many others) as I drink my own teas for ideas, inspiration, and sometimes with more than a bit of envy. ;)

Tea Sipper

aww!! Thanks everyone :D

Starfevre

Notes in my feed are great for stories. Notes when I’m researching or about to drink a tea are great for figuring out what I should be looking for. I like it both ways!!

Comments

Stephanie

caile

Yes, your tasting notes are great! :-)

Dexter

That’s what I love about Steepster is seeing all the different opinions. :))

MissB

Tea Sipper

aww!! Thanks everyone :D

Starfevre

Some of my favorite teas:
teavivre.com
verdanttea.com
steapshoppe.com
thenecessiteas.com
Specialteas

My dislikes: hibiscus, ginger (unless in chai), charcoal type flavors

My ratings: