A sample from Yezi! I wanted to try this one since it was compared to scotch, it had to be their strongest black tea and the furthest from the Laoshan Black flavor profile (sorry Laoshan!) But I have no idea, since I’m not familiar with scotch. I used two teapoons of these black, long and twisty leaves that smelled very sweet and like some fruit I couldn’t place, or maybe sweet potato.

Steep #1 // a few minutes after boiling // 2 min
The cup color isn’t very dark – light brown. The first sip is actually woody, but not in the way that steeped-too-much tea leaves are like. Otherwise it’s tough to describe – it’s a little of everything, hints of smoke and spice, a bit of chocolate and sweet potato.. but many other things I can’t place either. I felt like I had sipped this tea before, and looking up Tealux’s Ying De, I think it was that one. (A big thanks to Steepster for aiding the tea portion of my brain!) It both looks the same and if I can remember correctly, tastes the same. However, this blend is from the Fujian province of China while the Ying De is from Guangdong province of China. At least they are both from China. Though this one is Fujian, I do not get the charcoal flavor that I usually associate with Fujian teas.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
Very much the same as the first cup just deeper and more delicious. I think the instructions at the top of the description page for this tea are not for western brewing. (Also for the Ying De I thought the second steep was better as well.) I think I like this sort of flavor better than Laoshan Black. I can’t say how much it’s like scotch but I love this one!

On a side note, I feel like I’ve been watching a ton of movies I’ve missed through the years.. classics I should have watched (also for some reason many movies that seem to be Abed’s favorites from ‘Community’). I feel like movies are the biggest gap in my pop culture knowledge (compared to music, books, and TV). But anyway, I saw Aliens last night and it was AWESOME… not really sure why Abed would want to dress as the alien for Halloween though!

mmm i love this one!