Another Teavivre sample! I haven’t even caught up on the last samples and Teavivre has already offered to send more samples! Wow! I love Teavivre. I think they want me to try every tea they have… which works because 97% of the time they are so good that I want to buy them. There were four big chunks of pu-erh in one sample pouch… not sure if I should have used them all for one mug. I could have just used two pieces for this steep, but then I realized that pu-erh is rarely astringent anyway… you could probably use an entire pu-erh cake and it wouldn’t make a mug of tea astringent!

I wish Teavivre didn’t get rid of their webpage with the steeping instructions for their teas… I have to guess with this 17 ounce thing. I’m guessing the old page would have suggested something like 212 degrees with a rinse and 1,2,3,4 minute steeps. I sipped four big mugs of this tea all day and I was not close to tiring of it. All of the steeps here had the same delicious flavor… and I could have steeped this many more times. The flavor is surprisingly sweet yet dark, earthy. Pu-erh is kind of difficult to describe as pu-erh is just pu-erh… it has its own flavor. But it is interesting that it tastes so different from black tea. This is the kind of pu-erh I love. I could easily buy an entire cake of this. The value is great anyway… I could probably use the same leaves for many more than four cups. The flavor was consistent to the last drop. Delicious!

Steep #1 // 13 minutes after boiling (accidentally) with a rinse // 1 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // 6 mins after boiling // 2 1/2 min