I think ginseng gives me an extra brain boost, so I wanted to try Teavivre’s offering. This oolong looks like little jade pebbles: a ginseng and licorice coating that slowly dissolves with each steep. I know I shouldn’t have put a teaspoon of this in my cramped one teaspoon infuser, but I did anyway. I didn’t think I should use more than a teaspoon because of the ginseng. I wouldn’t want too much.

Steep #1 // just boiled // 3 min
Even though the water is at boiling, opening the infuser, it seems like the ginseng as hardly dissolved, yet there is plenty of flavor from the ginseng even if the oolong hasn’t been able to soak up the water yet. Again, I should have used my basket infuser, but I didn’t want all of the ginseng to dissolve into the first cup anyway. This flavor is very intriguing and different to me, so I could sip down the entire mug really fast if I’m not careful. I’m usually not a fan of licorice but this is delicious. Maybe the flavor alone is refreshing enough to wake up my brain.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
Another cup where the ginseng has barely dissolved, but the color of the cup is a dark gold, so I know something is happening! The flavor is obvious anyway: it tastes grassy, with hints of minerals, the sweet licorice is a nice addition… I think it would be worse without it anyway.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 3 min
I think this could be the tea of a hundred steeps! The ginseng is still mostly there, so I’ll have to try it again in the basket infuser another time. I’m getting hints of the oolong anyway. I’d buy some of this tough ginseng oolong so each steep slowly releases more ginseng for boosts of brain power throughout the day!

Steep #4 // half mug // just boiled // quite a few minutes
This didn’t get too strong at all, even with quite a few minutes. As usual, I think I should have went with Teavivre’s parameters of a few minutes to steep in the first place… they always know how to steep their teas!

Edited to add: Apparently there is no licorice in this one. I wish they would say what it is. Is that just the flavor of ginseng then?

ashmanra

You know I swear there is licorice in he his but when I have asked, they say there isn’t! I love it, though. It was the first tea I had hubby bring me at the hospital after my surgery a couple of weeks ago, and it was brilliant.

Tea Sipper

Yeah, I was wondering at the time if I knew what I was talking about. haha. I think any tea would be brilliant after surgery. Wishing you well!

Comments

ashmanra

Tea Sipper

Some of my favorite teas:
teavivre.com
verdanttea.com
steapshoppe.com
thenecessiteas.com
Specialteas

My dislikes: hibiscus, ginger (unless in chai), charcoal type flavors

My ratings: