7.8 g / 130 ml / 212 F / 1 wash
Steeps: 15 / 10 / 15 / 15 / 30 / 45 / 60

First steep was astringent and lacked depth of flavor. In retrospect this tea could benefit from two rinses.

The next two steeps yielded a dark, coffee-colored liquid. Astringency was diminishing and flavors were integrating such that no one thing stood out, which was enjoyable. Nice earthy aroma with no off-smells. These were my favorite steeps.

Steeps 4 and 5 were lighter in color, a reddish-brown. Astringency is gone, aroma diminishing, flavor becoming more delicate, but still enjoyable.

Steeps 6 and 7 are now a reddish-amber, aroma is faint but still slightly earthy. Flavor is very light like a green tea.

I consider this to be a decent value every day drinking tea when you don’t want to have to pay as much attention as you would a fine Pu-Erh. Caffeine level is moderate, so I could drink this after dinner and not be too wound up to go to bed three or four hours later.

Next time I would do two washes and stop drinking after the fourth steep. It might be interesting to see how this matures in another 5 years.

SimpliciTEA

You mention doing two rinses. I have read that some Chinese Pu-urh drinkers do as many as three. So, doing a second rinse here would help mitigate the astringency?

TeaExplorer

Sorry for the delay; was AFS (away from Steepster). I don’t believe that astringency is generally reduced by additional rinses. In the case of this shu, the extra rinse helps the tea open up in preparation for a better first steep. The astringency in this particular tea diminished as the steeps went on, but that won’t always be the case with all pu-erh.

SimpliciTEA

Got it. Thanks TeaExplorer!

Comments

SimpliciTEA

TeaExplorer

SimpliciTEA

Got it. Thanks TeaExplorer!

I’m fairly new to the world of fine tea, having begun my exploration in earnest in mid-2013. I had given loose tea a try a decade ago but what I chose was not to my liking and I never finished the couple of hundred grams I ordered.

I’ve spent most of my life as a coffee drinker, and have studied and practiced the art and craft of coffee roasting for the past decade. I drink coffee until about noon, at which point my palate needs a change.

This eventually led me to try good quality tea one more time. The Internet is a great resource and I got pointed in a more solid direction this time. I started at Upton Tea with mostly black teas, a Jasmine-scented green and samples of some flavors. I’ve been enjoying three or four cups a day.

Then I stopped into a tiny Chinese restaurant in rural Pennsylvania and in response to my request for hot tea the proprietor brought me her personal Pu-Erh, which had just arrived from China, in a portable Gong Fu teapot. OMG … I found something new to obsess about! She kept bringing me hot water and I did multiple steeps until I could swallow no more. My research on this tea eventually led me here.

I’m a voracious reader and can consume a book a day when I have the time. I’ve been an obsessive geek since childhood and that spills over into all areas of my life, driving me to try to attain competency in more areas than I can count, especially technical subjects. I once took “The Visual Display of Quantitative Information” on vacation and my wife asked why I wasn’t reading something fun. I had no idea what she meant.

I love almost all genres of music, but am most fond of Jazz (Miles’ Blue Period, Mingus), Delta Blues (Sleepy John Estes, Son House) and 80’s British alternative rock (The Smiths, Bauhaus, The Pogues). I also followed the Grateful Dead for a short while. Yup I’m getting old, but then 50 is the new 30, right?

I hope to make some of your acquaintances, and swap both knowledge and tea.

Palm Bay, Florida