Purchased October 2013 from Upton. This was the only Pu-erh I ever had prior to finding Steepster. Now look at my cupboard! My taste buds thank all of you Steepster-ites who have since expanded my horizons. My wallet silently curses you.

Steeping Western style, per Upton’s recommendations, does not do this tea any favors. Gong Fu style at 10/20/30.. seconds, however, brings out a few interesting notes. The main aroma and flavor centers around shiitake mushrooms, with hints of wood, mineral, pepper and citrus making guest appearances in the cup.

Although this sounds interesting my final note reads “Overall not a bad shu, but not one I’d stock.” Compared to the various shu I’ve been introduced to here on Steepster this is just average at best and no longer holds my interest. As an entry point into the world of Pu-erh, however, it served it’s purpose.

Boiling
TheTeaFairy

Yes I hear you…the wallet curse is the price to pay (no pun intended) for expanded horizons. But isn’t it worth it??? I say, hell yeah!

TeaExplorer

Oh, it’s absolutely worth it. But I’ve stooped to intercepting the mailman at the curb and secreting packages away in my shop until my wife goes to bed. It makes me feel dirty … so very dirty =:-{

TheTeaFairy

Hahaha, OMG, I can sooo relate to that one…

Stephanie

I found this to be a drinkable but kinda boring shu myself :) I’ve moved on to better things as well!

Terri HarpLady

It’s a good thing Tony & I live in separate houses. He has no idea of the extent of my tea fetish!

TeaExplorer

Stephanie: Judging by the handful of very nice Pu-erh in your cupboard, I’m not surprised you found it boring as well.

Terri: “Tea fetish” – I love it! That totally sounds like something that should be kept hidden =:0

mrmopar

At least I am not the ONLY one that has to intercept packages. I have been busted two days in a row this week……..

Stephanie

I am always very clear on days like today when I got tea in the mail that it was TOTALLY free and no I am not blowing all my money on tea, hahah

mrmopar

Yeah I tried that “free” with only $29.99 shipping. Didn’t work.

Stephanie

Haaaaa!! Today I literally got free tea from Della Terras Facbook promotion so it was legit ;)

boychik

I keep saying to my hubby that its just samples. I order to my grandma address ( she lives on the same block). Some times I feel that I’m a squirrel hiding my stush everywhere. The most important thing not to forget where;)

Terri HarpLady

My sons (21 & 24) often intercept the mail.
“Mom, you have MORE TEA
“must be a trade from one of my Canadian Friends.”
“It’s from China”

Hilarious! I’ve been chuckling over that for the past five minutes =:-D

Terri HarpLady

I do!! There’s Angel of TeaVivre!! She’s sent me things, although admittedly not all of them were free…

Terri HarpLady

Master Han, the Li family, & all the other Peeps mentions on the Verdant site…I mean I’ve never met them, but I’ve never met any of you guys either, still I Love you all!

Comments

TheTeaFairy

TheTeaFairy

Hahaha, OMG, I can sooo relate to that one…

mrmopar

Yeah I tried that “free” with only $29.99 shipping. Didn’t work.

boychik

Terri HarpLady

My sons (21 & 24) often intercept the mail.
“Mom, you have MORE TEA
“must be a trade from one of my Canadian Friends.”
“It’s from China”

Hilarious! I’ve been chuckling over that for the past five minutes =:-D

Terri HarpLady

I’m fairly new to the world of fine tea, having begun my exploration in earnest in mid-2013. I had given loose tea a try a decade ago but what I chose was not to my liking and I never finished the couple of hundred grams I ordered.

I’ve spent most of my life as a coffee drinker, and have studied and practiced the art and craft of coffee roasting for the past decade. I drink coffee until about noon, at which point my palate needs a change.

This eventually led me to try good quality tea one more time. The Internet is a great resource and I got pointed in a more solid direction this time. I started at Upton Tea with mostly black teas, a Jasmine-scented green and samples of some flavors. I’ve been enjoying three or four cups a day.

Then I stopped into a tiny Chinese restaurant in rural Pennsylvania and in response to my request for hot tea the proprietor brought me her personal Pu-Erh, which had just arrived from China, in a portable Gong Fu teapot. OMG … I found something new to obsess about! She kept bringing me hot water and I did multiple steeps until I could swallow no more. My research on this tea eventually led me here.

I’m a voracious reader and can consume a book a day when I have the time. I’ve been an obsessive geek since childhood and that spills over into all areas of my life, driving me to try to attain competency in more areas than I can count, especially technical subjects. I once took “The Visual Display of Quantitative Information” on vacation and my wife asked why I wasn’t reading something fun. I had no idea what she meant.

I love almost all genres of music, but am most fond of Jazz (Miles’ Blue Period, Mingus), Delta Blues (Sleepy John Estes, Son House) and 80’s British alternative rock (The Smiths, Bauhaus, The Pogues). I also followed the Grateful Dead for a short while. Yup I’m getting old, but then 50 is the new 30, right?

I hope to make some of your acquaintances, and swap both knowledge and tea.

Palm Bay, Florida