drank Golden Fleece by Verdant Tea

A HUGE thanks to Terri HarpLady for sending me a generous sample of this excellent tea!

I used my 100 ml gaiwan and followed the Gong Fu regimen outlined on the Verdant site. The raw sugar and vanilla aroma was heavenly! Those notes came through in the cup along with occasional guest appearances of cinnamon, allspice, and something I refer to as citrus liveliness which appears on the sides of the tongue and triggers a saliva reaction. Wonderful aftertaste. I took this through 15 steeps and threw the remainder in a jar in the fridge to cold steep. This is one tea I’d like to always have some of on hand.

And, oh happy day, Verdant has a limited amount in stock right now! I’m off to add this to my cupboard.

Edit: I logged this a day after drinking it. Just noticed my notes had the comment: “Steep 7 – actually have a slight buzz!”. I’ve had teas that have energized me and some where I felt the caffeine, but this was the first tea I actually caught a buzz from! Has anybody else ever felt that effect with this tea?

Boiling 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Terri HarpLady

I’m overdue for a session with this tea, & even though I have some hidden in my attic, the voice in my head is always urging me to buy more. Did I also send you YS’s Imperial Mojiang? I haven’t actually done a side by side with those 2, but in my mind they are quite similar.

TeaExplorer

Teri – Although you included nearly the entire YS black tea catalog in the swap box[=:D], the Mojiang was not among them. I did, however, include 50g of that tea in a recent YS-US order and will give it a steep to see how it compares. Thanks for the suggestion!

Terri HarpLady

What? I didn’t include any of it? I don’t know how that happened, but I’m glad you’re getting some!

TeaExplorer

Terri – Mystery solved: Just went back thru our PM thread leading up to the swap. I placed the YS order with the Mojiang shortly before we finalized our boxes so there was no need for you to include it. I’m still overwhelmed at the sheer number of samples you crammed in to that box! I’ve got the Xingyang Golden Leaf ’98 Shu set aside for when I have a day off so I can dedicate an afternoon to it (hopefully next weekend).

Aha!
Well, the box you sent me was no slouch either! I’m really just getting started on it. :)

Terri HarpLady

Regarding Tea Buzz: All the time! Especially from Shengs, but there are also several Shu’s & black teas that have a potent Chaqi effect, which I have described as the ‘front edge of a shroom trip’, like when you first feel your third eye opening, & all you want to do is meditate or do taichi or some similar type of mind expanding activity.(child of the 60’s…need I say more?)

Comments

Terri HarpLady

Aha!

Terri HarpLady

I’m fairly new to the world of fine tea, having begun my exploration in earnest in mid-2013. I had given loose tea a try a decade ago but what I chose was not to my liking and I never finished the couple of hundred grams I ordered.

I’ve spent most of my life as a coffee drinker, and have studied and practiced the art and craft of coffee roasting for the past decade. I drink coffee until about noon, at which point my palate needs a change.

This eventually led me to try good quality tea one more time. The Internet is a great resource and I got pointed in a more solid direction this time. I started at Upton Tea with mostly black teas, a Jasmine-scented green and samples of some flavors. I’ve been enjoying three or four cups a day.

Then I stopped into a tiny Chinese restaurant in rural Pennsylvania and in response to my request for hot tea the proprietor brought me her personal Pu-Erh, which had just arrived from China, in a portable Gong Fu teapot. OMG … I found something new to obsess about! She kept bringing me hot water and I did multiple steeps until I could swallow no more. My research on this tea eventually led me here.

I’m a voracious reader and can consume a book a day when I have the time. I’ve been an obsessive geek since childhood and that spills over into all areas of my life, driving me to try to attain competency in more areas than I can count, especially technical subjects. I once took “The Visual Display of Quantitative Information” on vacation and my wife asked why I wasn’t reading something fun. I had no idea what she meant.

I love almost all genres of music, but am most fond of Jazz (Miles’ Blue Period, Mingus), Delta Blues (Sleepy John Estes, Son House) and 80’s British alternative rock (The Smiths, Bauhaus, The Pogues). I also followed the Grateful Dead for a short while. Yup I’m getting old, but then 50 is the new 30, right?

I hope to make some of your acquaintances, and swap both knowledge and tea.

Palm Bay, Florida