Today started off with quite a bad stomach ache and of course… I knew just where to turn: Sheng cha!
I have been waiting to try this special pu for a while now. Unfortunately, I was recently very, very spoiled by having the SMOOTHEST young sheng I have ever had in my entire life, thus my experience with this mellow sheng left a bit to be desired.
It is a very easy going tea. I would recommend it to those who do not have a lot of experience with sheng as during my infusions it has been very forgiving. It kind of reminds me of a young honest horse; the type that even if you didn’t line up a jump correctly, they will still give it their all and make the jump anyway. Those were always my favorite horses and always got the most treats. :) Funnily enough, that is not where the horse resemblance stops with this tea, either. It has some lovely notes of clean horse hair (in the throat of the tea), hay, and the dusty dirt of a pristine barn. To me, these are all very good things. Aside from that, it has notes of orchid, camphor, some nuttiness, and a nice caramel sweetness that is faint.
I have a feeling that this will age nicely, however, I am not sure if I want to invest in a full cake yet. We will see… Right now, I am just so grateful for a good cuppa and a quiet morning before work.

boychik

Nice review!

apt

well, did it help your stomach?

Tea Pet

Thank you, boychik!
@apt – Yes, it did. Sheng always does!

Comments

boychik

Nice review!

apt

well, did it help your stomach?

Tea Pet

Thank you, boychik!
@apt – Yes, it did. Sheng always does!

Wolf girl. Equestrian. Writer. Artist. Gamer. Geek.

I joined Steepster back in August of 2009. Since then, I have been lurking around shyly and taken it all in. Just recently, I decided to log all of the teas that I have in my cupboard and from there I decided to be a bit more active on the site!

I’m addicted to three things: Tea, wolves, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

My favorite teas: Jin Pin, Matcha iri Genmaicha, Shu Pu-erh, and roasted oolong teas.

Broadly speaking I also love: Most Chinese red teas and most Fujian oolongs.

I’ve been drinking loose-leaf teas since childhood. I love everything from tieguanyin to gyokuro to a good British cuppa. I am looking forward to trying every tea type out there and building an extensive pu-erh library.

New York, New York