drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

This is one of the most interesting black teas I’ve had. The leaves look like brambles and thorns, like something that grows in a dark scary forest! For a tea that’s not flavored, it sure tastes like it is. I totally got the brownie batter taste and smell that everyone is talking about. Not the store-bought mix, but the from-scratch kind. The flavor is extremely robust, complex, and lasts through multiple steepings. It’s very malty, and the malty-ness seems to linger at the end of the sip and gives me the urge to clear my throat. Weird. Maybe I should steep this for less time? I did western style (1 TBSP at 3 min).

I must admit, I added sugar and a splash of soy milk. I really can’t get myself to drink a black tea without those.

On the second and third steepings, I noticed a stronger honey note. I like that! I’m thinking I actually like the third steeping the best….interesting.

Even after feeling very full from this tea after 2 steepings, I decided to make scones to enjoy with the third! I feel like I cheated, because I made them from a mix, and I usually make them from scratch, but the mix was a Christmas present from my husband. He’s so sweet! The scones were a cream-type scone….maple cinnamon…and I’m used to buttermilk-based scones, but man, those cinnamon chips were delicious!

Chizakura

Sooooooo jealous! I’m so terribly excited about my first order of Laoshan Black to get here that I almost can’t stand it. XD It’ll be here any day now. My fingers are crossed for tomorrow :)
This note just makes it sound even more delicious!

Tealizzy

Ya, the hardest part for me was waiting until I had time for multiple steepings! I hope you enjoy it!

Fjellrev

I have that same problem. I think that’s why I haven’t been drinking ones like this and sticking to flavoured ones which are only good for one steeping anyway, because when you’re constantly on the go, you don’t have to waste tea like this one on just one steep. :)

Bonnie

Save the leaves. Also, as the weather warms up I throw the leaves in water and then in the frig for cold brewing. I have some right now!

I will have to try that!

Comments

Chizakura

This note just makes it sound even more delicious!

Fjellrev