Clearly, I killed this one. I got the sample size of this tea, and thank goodness there’s enough for another try, because I killed it. I know the steeping instructions were all about shorter steep times, gongfu style, but I thought since I’d steeped other oolongs western style, that it would be okay. I was wrong. I’m new to oolongs, as you can see. Well, so I steeped it for 3 minutes, and it smelled and tasted like I oversteeped AND burned it. Oops. So I did another steep of the same leaves for 1 1/2 minutes, and it was better, but I think I ruined the leaves in the first round. I added honey in the second round, so I’m not really sure if it just tasted better because of the sweetener or the shorter steep time. Overall, it tasted like an oversteeped toasted green tea. Lesson learned: will do short steeps!

Bonnie

I wouldn’t add honey the second time either if I might suggest. Honey has a flavor and you’ll have a hard time finding the true oolong taste when you use it. Most people only use honey with spicy tea like chai or black tea or a non-delicate blend.

Tealizzy

Thanks, Bonnie. Good tip! Especially since I’m intrigued by oolongs right now and would like to try more. :)

Kittenna

Omg. Sounds like my first attempt with a Verdant dark oolong. Yeah, I killed it. They are very finicky sometimes, and either require very reduced leaf and/or shorter infusion times. Glad to know to watch out with this tea – I have some en route :D

Tealizzy

Kittenna – I’m glad I’m not the only one and that I could help on this tea! Haha!

Comments

Bonnie

Kittenna