drank French Breakfast by Octavia Tea

We had a fabulous day yesterday in Carmel and Monterey. We decided we would escape the heat and drive down to the coast for the day! It was so cool, like 64 degrees, which was a huge change from our previous day in Davis, where it was like walking through a furnace at 104 degrees. Anyway, we had a blast shopping around Carmel, and eating at some amazing places. We found our new favorite Italian restaurant in Carmel, called Little Napoli…food was amazing! I had a gnocchi dish and they were like little pillows with Gorgonzola cheese melted on top! Yum!!! I also picked up a cute new hat, kind of 1920s inspired!

I was also excited to stop by the Tea Rose shop, which was closed the last time we were in Carmel. I had read she carried Harney & Sons teas, and I knew she had some cute teaware, but she said she recently went to a tea expo, and picked up a bunch of stuff, and I found the Octavia Tea Company teas in her shop as well. Never heard of them before. Of course I had to try them out. I picked up a tin of this tea, since it sounded unique. I mean, I’ve seen English breakfast, and Irish breakfast, and even Scottish breakfast, but not French breakfast. Plus, I like the idea of a vanilla, caramel, rose black tea. The tins are a little funny though. Remind me of a deodorant stick in shape! Haha! It was a little pricey for 3oz., but I figured I was in Carmel (instant rate hike) and the tea is organic, so I went for it. I looked up the company online, and yes, she had hiked the price up by $2.50, but I suppose she needs to make some profit! It does seem like a lot though…like a 17% hike. I made a comment about checking them out online, and I don’t think she appreciated it…ha! You do save on shipping though, by getting it at her shop.

Of course I had to have a cup this morning. This tea did not disappoint! I was happy to see the tea was sealed up fresh in a foil pouch within the tin. When I opened it, the dry leaf smelled like vanilla and rose. Brewed up, it tastes like vanilla, caramel, and rose black tea! Perfect! I steeped it at 195 degrees for 3 minutes, since the instructions said something about letting boiling water cool a bit. This turned out to be a great cup, with no astringency…of course, I added soy milk and sugar too! So I’m super satisfied, and will probably be ordering sample sizes online to try more of this company!! ;)

Bonnie

Jealous! I used to live in Morgan Hill and a drive to Monterey took 45 minutes! Oh well.. My brother lives in San Jose and son in San Francisco so I can visit! I’ll have to make a note about this tea shop!

Tealizzy

Wow! 45 minutes would have been nice! It’s about 2 1/2 hours for us, but still doable. You can see pics of the shop on yelp. I almost picked up some cute teacup notecards, but I didn’t…totally should have!

momo

Check Whole Foods for them, only one in my area carries them but I bought this one for a dollar or two less than Octavia teas sells it for online.

Tealizzy

momo – thanks for the tip! I will check our local one!!

Terri HarpLady

This tea sounds quite tasty!

Tealizzy

Btw, it resteeped nicely. Win!

Chelle

I will check too! This one sounds yummy!

Comments

Bonnie

momo

Tealizzy

momo – thanks for the tip! I will check our local one!!

Terri HarpLady

This tea sounds quite tasty!

Tealizzy

Btw, it resteeped nicely. Win!

Chelle

I will check too! This one sounds yummy!

I thought my profile needed a facelift, so here we go:

San Francisco Bay Area