drank Pu-erh Coconut Cacao by Tealux

Man. I just can’t do it guys. I guess pu-erh is not for me.

I’m not having a great tea day either. I started the morning trying a new assam, but used my steeper which was heavily tainted with the scent of my huckleberry tea, so it infused a perfume-y huckleberry flavor into the assam. Gonna try that one again before I review it because I really wasn’t tasting the true flavor of that tea. Then I tried this tea, and ick! I hate to say that about any tea, but I just can’t stomach these pu-erhs. The last pu-erh I tried tasted like leather to me, and this one has that flavor. It’s a major turn-off to me. I tried to focus on the coconut and cocoa nib flavor, but couldn’t get past the leather. It also seemed to have like a peppercorn spiciness, which I also didn’t like. I admit, I dumped most of it.

I just don’t understand pu-erhs. I’ve had the Lupicia chocolate strawberry one, and it didn’t really taste much different to me than a black tea. And I LOVE the sTEApshoppe cinnamon swirl bread tea, but then again it is a blend with black tea, I guess. I feel like maybe I should stop trying since I could spend the money on stuff I am more likely to enjoy. I really wanted to like all forms of tea though. Humph!

you tried. that’s great! leave it and try it again in a few months…see if your tastes have changed but try swapping to pick up samples so you’re not “wasting money” or add a small sample to another order heh.

Tealizzy

Thanks, Sil! I guess I won’t give up just yet!

just take a pause – tea drinking should be fun! i went through the same thing to be honest – though i had a bit less trouble than you it seems. i love the two that you mentioned in your tasting note – but there are also puerhs i love now that are similar to black teas but subtly different enough that i can appreciate them for what they are. I’m still taking baby steps but i have samples coming from tea friends to add to the small sample pile i have of puerh so if i find some good non leather ones that i think you could like, i’ll let you know. happy to share in the journey :)

Comments

Tealizzy

Thanks, Sil! I guess I won’t give up just yet!

I thought my profile needed a facelift, so here we go:

San Francisco Bay Area