I took Stephanie’s recommendation and ordered the free sample of the month from Red Leaf Tea. I’ve been curious about these flavored matchas, and wanted to try them before I placed an order. They’re pretty expensive and I didn’t want to end up with a bunch of matcha I didn’t like. I’m also kind of particular about green tea. Some I like, some I don’t, so it’s a bit of a risk! I wasn’t sure how vegetal it would be.

So, I got my sample in the mail yesterday and tried it out immediately. I kept looking at people’s reviews to find out how they prepared it, and for some reason I thought you could just whisk it into some milk. Well, I used my mini kitchen whisk, since I haven’t invested in a matcha one yet, and sifted and then whisked the matcha into some almond milk. Well, that didn’t dissolve very well, no matter how vigorously I whisked. Not great.

Today I tried the recommended method, where you whisk it into hot water, and then add ice a milk. THAT was the trick! Worked out perfectly. Yay! :)

Soooo, the flavor. Well, the dry powder didn’t really smell like cheesecake to me…it was more like a buttery cookie smell. Once made into an iced latte, it still tasted like a butter cookie. It makes me think they mixed up the cheesecake with the French butter cookie flavor. Weird. Still, it tasted good, and I didn’t really get much vegetal or even really a matcha flavor. I wonder at what flavor level these samples come…distinctive? Robust? Anyone know? Overall, I enjoyed it and think it would be a nice upgrade to my usual cup o’milk with breakfast. Now I just have to figure out which ones to buy! I’m thinking about caramel, cookies & cream, or strawberries & cream. :)

Also, anyone know the shelf life of these? I don’t want to order too much and have it go bad quickly.

Courtney

I would say I had mine close just under a year before the taste started to go. I also kept mine in the cupboard, but I know many people keep theirs in the fridge for a longer shelf life.

Tealizzy

Thanks, Courtney! I wrote Red Leaf about the flavor level this morning, and they already got back to me! Awesome customer service! And btw, all their samples are basic grade and flavor. :)

Courtney

Thanks for the heads up! I had thought so, but it’s great to know for sure. They do have great customer service, I agree.

Comments

Courtney

Tealizzy

Courtney

I thought my profile needed a facelift, so here we go:

San Francisco Bay Area