I’ve been drinking a lot of tea lately, but haven’t been logging much because they’re the same old teas I’ve already logged and I don’t have anything new to say. I can say that I’ve been enjoying many white, green and oolongs though, and a few are excellent iced.

So, this tea…I fell in love with it when I had a sample from Angel, and so ordered a bunch, but since then I’ve had a little trouble getting it to be just as good. I think it has to do with the steeping temperature. The bag recommends 176 degrees, but I swear the sample bag said something higher, like 186 degrees….of course, I don’t have the sample bag anymore. Poo! So, I tried it at 186 degrees today, and I think it came out a lot better. Much more rounded out flavor, and those sweet potato notes were spot on. Only thing is, it was a tiny bit astringent, so maybe I need to cut down steep time a bit. I did it for 3 minutes, but maybe 2 or 2 1/2 would be better. Anyhoo, I think I’m getting there! At least I have a lot left to enjoy!! :)

caile

I have a sample bag of this and it says 184 degrees for 3-5 minutes.

Tealizzy

I knew it! Thanks, caile!!

looseTman

“The bag recommends 176 degrees, but I swear the sample bag said something higher, like 186 degrees …”

It sounds like the quantity you purchased must not have been from the same crop year as your sample. Growing conditions do vary from year to year and can affect the flavor profile of tea.

Per Angel, “Once we have new batch of this tea, we will brew this tea to find out the best brewing guide and adjust the brewing guide.”

Such dedication to finding the optimum brewing recommendations for each year crop for all of their many teas is what makes TeaVivre a superior supplier of Chinese Tea. Angel may be able to further help you optimize the Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea – Golden Tip you purchased.

Comments

caile

I have a sample bag of this and it says 184 degrees for 3-5 minutes.

Tealizzy

I knew it! Thanks, caile!!

looseTman

I thought my profile needed a facelift, so here we go:

San Francisco Bay Area