Back at home, I spent the afternoon teaching & sipping multiple steeping of this Sheng.

I got this 1 oz sample right before this Pu’er sold out! I feel so lucky
I’m just getting started on Shengs, having finally sampled my first one (Tian Di Ren ’06 Bulang Mountain) last Friday, as part of the Tea of the Month Club offerings for October.

This will sound unsavory, but I’m finding Shengs to smell kind of like a well composted manure, but not in a bad way (only tea drinker would say crazy things like that). That’s not to say it smells like poop, so maybe it’s just a well-composted alfalfa type smell, now that I think about it, kind of fresh & musty smelling at the same time. The dry tea is in flat clumps, very compressed (like an old cow pie…sorry, I just had to say it! LOL).

I’m using my beloved Gaiwan, & the first steeping was light & very mildly salty. The wet leaf has taken on a charcoal smell. The 2nd steep is a beautiful honey color, with a boldness to it, a peppery bite, & a little bitterness. I may have over-steeped by a few seconds, in which case it’s not very forgiving!

With steep #3, I’m picking up a toasted almond flavor! The plantain is also still there.

1. - All of the above, plus more charcoal, & some astringency
    #5,6,& 7 combined – less bitter, a hint of apricot
    $8, 9, & 10 The color & flavor are both still good! The toasted almond has been the predominant flavor throughout all steepings, and there is also an underlying smokey tobacco-like taste, & I added a drop or 2 of stevia to some cups, which really brought out the apricot essence. I can tell that I can get several more steepings out of this, but that’s all for today. Maybe I’ll toss the rest in a little water & cold brew overnight.

I only got an ounce of this. I wish I’d gotten enough to stick it in a closet somewhere & let it age awhile. I will put what I have left away for at least a little while, probably.

fleurdelily

mmmmmmmmmmm, well composted manure, YUM ! roflamo

Terri HarpLady

I woke up this morning & combined steeps 11, 12, 13, & 14 into my little glass pitcher. The color is still beautiful, the wet leaves have a slightly sweet smell, & the flavor is still there too, mild but still tasty.

MsWhatsit

The whole compost thing amuses me, and at the same time it’s making me wonder what my own reaction will be when I have one of these varieties.

Autumn Hearth

Finally getting around to opening my sample of this from over a year ago. I totally got the composted manure scent as well but in a good earthy farm way. First few steeps I got lots of charcoal and pine, with that musty earthiness, like brewing up a clump of pine needles, mulch and a bit of moist soil all found under my parents pine tree I climbed as a kid. By the fourth or fifth steep I started getting the crazy sweet aftertaste especially at the back of the throat, bit minty, bit lemony and with a cooling sensation that reminds me of bubble gum, except I’m not a fan of straight bubble gum, but I like this.

Terri HarpLady

I ended up grabbing a cake of this. It’s been sitting up in my bedroom on the 3rd floor with the other pu’s. I should pull it out & see if it’s changed any

Comments

fleurdelily

mmmmmmmmmmm, well composted manure, YUM ! roflamo

MsWhatsit

Autumn Hearth

Terri HarpLady

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO