Thanks to Angel & Teavivre for this generous sample

First off, I love Teavana’s Black Dragon Pearls. That’s actually one of the only teas I buy from them, & the convenience of being able to zip over to the mall & get some is pretty nice. It’s a yummy malty breakfast tea that I enjoy. SO I thought I would brew a cup of that alongside Teavivre’s Fengqing Dragon Pearls, just to see if there was really any difference.

Dry, the difference was noticeable. The Fengqings were smaller, but more aromatic, with a little more of a malty smell. I used 6 of the teavana pearls in one 8 oz cup, and 8 of the Teavivre in another. The main difference I noticed in taste was that the Fengqing had a bit of a berry flavor, & then I realized that I had ruined the taste test. Damn!

You see, last night I made a cup of decaf blackberry vanilla black from some local tea company. It was a gift from one of my students a few years ago, & I was really just trying to use it up to get it out of my cupboard. I ended up dumping it out, it just wasn’t really a tea that I enjoyed. I swear I washed my tea strainer well! But somehow that flavor stuck, & ended up in the morning’s cup.

SO…the taste comparison was ruined! Luckily, there was enough tea left for another sample, & although I’m not doing another comparison test, I will say that this is a very tasty, malty, satisfying cup of tea, with chocolate croissant undertones, just the way I like it. It is delicious & smooth plain, & also quite tasty with stevia! Yum!

Ellyn

A tea with chocolate croissant undertones? YUM! Count me in.

Bonnie

It does have a bakey undertone.

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, the chocolate is slight, in comparison to some other teas, & it does have a bread or pastry quality, which I like to think of as croissant, of course, I have a vivid imagination, & since I’m intolerant to gluten, among other things, it’s been years since I’ve had a croissant, so what do I know…LOL

Donna A

I agree this is a very nice tea. Haven’t tried the Teavana one. Do you have a preference between the two, even though you didn’t get the side by side done?

Terri HarpLady

Still not sure. I have plenty of the Teavana version in my cupboard, so it will be awhile before I have to restock, either way.

Comments

Ellyn

A tea with chocolate croissant undertones? YUM! Count me in.

Bonnie

It does have a bakey undertone.

Donna A

Terri HarpLady

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO