I haven’t been on Steepster most of this week. Our modem died, so we were without internet all week, which was really a drag. It was a fairly new modem, so we got a free replacement, but it took days to arrive. How spoiled we are!

Of course, I’ve been drinking tea like a freak all week anyway, just didn’t document any of it, & it was mostly teas I’ve already reviewed.
Today I’m finally getting around to sampling this shu, which looked very interesting to me. I actually love the look of it, don’t ask why, but it’s a warm cocoa brown, & it appeals to my visual sense.
I decided to go with the Xingyang workshop brew suggestions: 5 g of tea, 4 oz water in Gaiwan, quick rinse, steep 2 minutes.
1st steep: whew, now that’s some intense tea! It is strong, but still amazingly smooth. There is a bitter edge, but no astrigency at all. I like it.
2. The leaves smell of shrooms & old things (musty), making me think of an old cedar grove. The bitterness is gone from this 2nd cup, and although the flavor is still strong, there is a brightness around the edges of my tongue that is leaning slightly to sweet.
3. I’m not really getting the rum raisin taste, but I’m a little unfocused, as I have to leave to play at a wedding shortly. I probably should have waited until a less busy day to sample this, but that’s ok. I have enough for several samplings, so another day.

When I get home I’ll carry it through some more steepings.

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO