Usually when I think of a Puer tuocha, I’m thinking of a cute little bird nest of tea, just right to drop into my filter & steep. That has been my experience so far. The ones I’ve had up until now have been Shu tuochas, none of them spectacular, but good to experience.

I ordered a couple of these Lao Tong Zhi ‘11 Shengs, thinking they would be those cute little nests. I would drink one, and save the others to drink a year from now, etc. Each one actually weighs about 100g! So I’ll really have an opportunity to let them age for quite some time.

My first steeping of this:
5g + 4oz (rinse) + 4 sec = a very strong, green, rustic & brassy brew!
Very intensive, with a sharp flavor & acidity, kind of like mustard greens. It definitely had a rawness to it, and a strong taste of wood.
Interesting sensations? Yes, I felt a mild itching in my lymph nodes on my neck, and my ears started popping (like when you’re flying), and a little of the head buzz. I don’t know much about puer yet, but I do agree that this one has potential, and it will be fun to see how it progresses, I’m especially interesting in seeing how it mellows over the coming years.
Later Steepings: after about 4 or 6 steepings (who’s counting?), all the brassiness disappears and a sudden delicate sweetness was there, that honestly was completely unexpected & very nice.
NOTE to self: go back down to 4g on puer for awhile, you crazy mad scientist!