Sometimes when I’m sampling teas, I like to talk about each round of steepings, noticing how the tea changes as I go along.
I’m not in the mood for that kind of left brain tea drinking today. Luckily, I have several samples of this varietal, so there will be time to drink it that way. Today, I’m more in a right brain mood, & have other things to do (while I drink tea). So I’ll just give my overall impressions here.
Per David’s instructions: 5G + 4oz water (rinse) X 4 – 6 sec

I drank the rinse water, as I often do, LOL. Not bad!

The first steeping I drank alone & the immediate impression was German chocolate cake accompanied by a cup of coffee, no doubt about it! It is a deep flavor, a very earthy taste, roasted & malty, a rocky essence, but with a sweetness & a sense of buttery-ness as well.

Then I combined several steepings in my pitcher, because I just can’t keep returning to the kitchen over & over again. I have things to do!
I’ve refilled the pitcher & am sipping that now, taking a break. The buttery sensation has somehow worked it’s way into my sinuses, & this is one of those mouth watering teas, giving my tongue a bit of a thick feeling.
Steeping 8 or 9 (lost count) I’m drinking this one separately from the others. Now the chocolate & malt are mostly gone. Very mouth watering, very tongue tingling, there is a sweet creamy taste.
10. (more or less, which I allowed to brew for 1 minute) Rock, chocolate, & a really interesting aftertaste…

I wasn’t as mindful during this tasting as I like to be. Before I sample this one again, I think I’ll drink some Big Red Robe & other Oolongs, & then come back to this one.

On to lunch…

Bonnie

You’re one of the only people here who talk about tasting in the sinus’s…I get the ouch in the sinus from the first burst of tea sometimes…and great tea can travel (flavorwise) all the way up and around (what you call your third eye and beyond). Doesn’t everyone taste this way?! If not, then why not? I learned to do it as a wine taster, tea is the same really.

Terri HarpLady

A big part of the taste of anything is the aroma, which is why we don’t taste things so well when we’re stuff up. That, of course, doesn’t explain all the crazy sensations we get, but really, who needs an explanation. Savor the moment!

Comments

Bonnie

Terri HarpLady

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO