This is my first Mandala Tea!
The Aroma of the dry leaf is very mushroomy, very savory, with a chocolate background & a hint of ammonia.
My formula: 5G + 4oz (rinse)
1. 10 sec = a very dark brew with a savory earthy flavor, definitely mushroomy!
2. 20 sec = The flavor of shroom is still present, but a creamy vanilla sweetness begins to rise
3. 30 sec = creamy & mildly sweet, with a lite milk chocolate at the very back of the tongue as I swallow
4. 40 sec = Chaqi sensations are creeping up on me! The flavor is the essence of vanilla pastry.
5 – 8 were combined in a pitcher. This tea kind of reminds me of Yanxin’s Reserve, at least in some ways.
9 was allowed to steep for 2 or 3 minutes…and it was nice too!

Next time I think I’ll try it with more leaf.
It will be interesting to see how this one ages.

Garret

Terri! I am glad you are enjoying this tea. I had it late last night before bed and it made me dream of temples high in the Himalayas! Great dreams!

Since I’ve been a bit obsessed with this tea for weeks, I’ve brewed it up a gazillion ways. A little trick… pour boiling water into your empty pot and let it completely heat up. Dump the water off and add your tea leaf into the now heated pot and let the dry leaf warm up for 15 seconds or so and then smell the leaf! Nice, eh? Then do your rinse (5 to 10 seconds) of the leaf with the boiling water and pour off and smell of the leaf again. Pay attention as it cools a bit. Now, my dear, make your first infusion. You may already do this, but I absolutely love bringing the various levels of aroma into the experience.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review, my friend!! Nice!

Terri HarpLady

Thanks For your recommendations Garret! I’m still really a puer newby, so I’m always open to suggestions regarding brew times, the overall experience, etc.. Beginners mind…
Just out go curiosity, how much tea do you usually put in your cup?
I’ve been starting my shu’s out with 5 G, my shengs at 3. When it comes to shu, I find I want a rich & robust brew. With sheng, I don’t want it to be harsh, but I want to feel the energy/chaqi. Enjoy the day!

Garret

HI Terri!!! I’ve been into pu’er tea for 15 years and I’m still a newbie, my friend :) That’s why I go to tea school in China!! With shu, I typically don’t weigh my tea, because like you, I prefer a bold, rich and robust cup… And my mood varies with just how strong I like it so I just eyeball it. When I’m getting to know a new sheng, I do weigh – typically 3 to 5 grams for a 5 ounce gaiwan. This will depend on the age of the tea and also what I am going for (am I using it at 175 temp, 195, full-boil?). all depends on the session and my mood.
I am a huge proponent of experimenting session to session, day to day… so many variables – attitude, atmosphere, water – everyday things changing and different than the day before. Above all, I like to practice joy with the experience. Which, I am sure, you already do :)

Terri HarpLady

yes, I do! I try to keep Creativity, Mindfulness, Joy, & Gratitude in the forefront of my day, & my tea drinking is a big part of that. I’m so grateful to be self-employed & to be making a living playing music & doing the things I love! I’ve been keeping a tea journal for awhile, & it’s nice to be able to refer back on my previous experiments as I’m embarking on new ones! :D

Comments

Garret

Thanks for taking the time to write the review, my friend!! Nice!

Terri HarpLady

Just out go curiosity, how much tea do you usually put in your cup?

Terri HarpLady

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO