drank Hong Jing Luo by thepuriTea

For those who haven’t ordered from thepuritea yet, each of their teas are offered as a 1oz sample, or in quantities of 4oz, 8oz, & 16oz.
The sample comes in a little pillow box with 2 foil 1/2 oz packets. I ordered several varieties this way to split with my awesome tea sister, Sil. It will be easy to just tuck her foil packets into the next package I send to her. No baggies required.

To use, I just cut the end off the little bag, remove the amount of tea I want, then gently fold it over & tape it shut. Alternately, you could put it in a baggie, or if you have a little tin sitting around, put it there.
They give free shipping if you spend $50. Also, if you buy 4oz or more of a tea, they send you a free sample of the same tea, so you can try the sample & if you don’t like it, you can send the unopened bag of tea back for a refund. I think that’s a pretty cool deal :)

This tea is a sweet malty golden yunnan curls type. I brewed it twice.

The first time, I used a Tb of tea, steeping for 2 min, & then 3.
The first steep was deeply malty with a little, smooth & fruity. The 2nd steep had a wood element to it, & pumpkin seed essence. Both were richly flavored with a little butteriness to the mouth.

Then I tried a heaping tsp, steeped for 5 minutes. Wow! Malty, fruity, yummy, not a hint of bitterness, & in the background the distinct taste & tongue-feel of licorice root! Totally unexpected! It doesn’t have the sweet aftertaste of licorice, just the forward taste, if that makes sense to anyone, LOL.

NOTE Ignore the licorice comments, & read further comments below. :p

Cavocorax

Mmmmm. Sweet yunnan curls! Sounds delightful.
Also, I’m big on licorice.
I saw the pics from the order – the packaging was very pretty!

Shelley_Lorraine

I like this curly tea too! I’ve only had it once though and I didn’t detect licorice. I’ll have to brew some again later today and see what new flavors arise as the first cup never tells everything. :)

Ooh I like the split half ounce thing :)

Terri HarpLady

OK….now you will all laugh at me…
Turns out, somebody (who drank So Long & Thanks for all the Licorice) didn’t rinse the brew basket well enough…lol, so the licorice flavor, which seemed so amazing, really came from that.
I realized it this afternoon when I was getting ready to brew something. I picked up that basket to rinse it, & it still smells of licorice, even after rinsing a couple of times. Now it’s soaking in hot water. I may have to add baking soda.

Comments

Cavocorax

Mmmmm. Sweet yunnan curls! Sounds delightful.
Also, I’m big on licorice.
I saw the pics from the order – the packaging was very pretty!

Shelley_Lorraine

Ooh I like the split half ounce thing :)

Terri HarpLady

OK….now you will all laugh at me…

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO