God, I love this tea!
This is part II of today’s tea paring, from last year’s TOMC offering for Oct. I think of all the TOMC boxes I’ve had from Verdant, this was probably my favorite one.
I went with short gongfu steepings, using my porcelain blue lotus pot for this tea (I’m sure eventually I’ll have to have a yixing for black teas…). The first steep was rich cocoa, with a hint of Roses. I never notices that before with this tea! The 2nd steep was even richer, & now the chocolate was dark chocolate powder. The 3rd steep was my favorite! The strong dark chocolate was toned down somewhat, leaving a sweet & rich caramel & malt taste, so mouthwatering, so good. Also, near the end of that cup, the taste of toast, spread with butter.
During the later steepings I was sidetracked with students, but I still enjoyed a few more cups as the flavors went through ‘peppery’, to dwindling down.
Have I mentioned that I love this tea?

JustJames

i bought two ounces of this because of you, lol. still haven’t touched it. 1) is it really that good? what if it’s not? i’ll be so sad! 2) what if it is that good and i run out….

;-P

NofarS

Yunnan Sourcing’s Yixings are the best that I have for a reasonable price, if you are looking to get a black tea yixing. I wonder if it wouldn’t be wise to have one for Chinese blacks and one for “other” blacks, since the Chinese blacks seem to me to be more subtle than their Indian/Kenyan/Sri Lankan counterparts

Terri HarpLady

James: you’ll love it! If not, send it to me! :) Be sure to try it both gongfu & western!
Nofar: I already have 3 yixings (sheng, shu, & wuyi oolongs), & a yixing size little porcelain pot for everything else, LOL.
I’ve been hovering around Yunnan Sourcing a lot lately, including peeking at their pots. AND yes, I agree, I’ll have to have a yixing just for the Yunnan & Fujian blacks. Most of the ‘other’ blacks I just brew western style, or I could use the porcelain for them, since it’s my ‘anything goes’ teapot.

Comments

JustJames

;-P

NofarS

Terri HarpLady

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO