This is the 3rd tea from the 2012 TOMC offering, which I am re-visiting today. I don’t have the original xingyang Chrysanthemum blend, but I do have chrysanthemum flowers, so I added some of those to the gaiwan.

The first steep featured a rich earthiness, with a sunny flavor of the flowers, & a sinus opening camphor taste. Overall, this cup had a cooling sensation to it.
The 2nd steep reminded me of the flavor of cannabis, & by the way, yesterday I celebrated 30 years ‘clean & serene’. Ironically, I’ve had the song, “Passage to Bankok”, by Rush, stuck in my head for the last 2 weeks.
The 3rd steep was even heavier on the camphor, or maybe more of a Eucalyptus. I felt the Sheng I was drinking on the tip of my tongue, but I felt this Shu more in my sinuses. The Chrysanthemum definitely took on a Cannibus-like taste, & the Shu was sweet & earthy beneath it.
The next couple of steepings were enjoyed, but I was sidetracked with students, so I didn’t take any notes.
The final steepings had a ‘warm’ taste, a little bit of a marine essence, but not fishy or salty. Maybe more mineral-like, & also sweet.

I still have a little of this Shu left, but I think next time I’ll pass on the Chrysanthemums. I do like chrysanthemums as a tea by themselves, & might like them brewed with Shu in a western brewing, but for multiple gongfu steepings I don’t care for them as much.

This was a fun experiment, & a nice trip down memory lane with the Verdant TOMC from my first month of membership!