I started drinking this tea yesterday. Verdant has some new Dancongs available, & part of me want to rush headlong into placing another order (I say ‘another’ because last week I talked myself into placing an order, in order to spend my ‘tea cash’ from Chinese new year. At least I had a good excuse, right?)

So yesterday evening I enjoyed several steepings, & then realizing how late it was getting, I tabled it until today. After a quick rinse, I’ve had several more cups. There are elements of tangerine, incense, & for awhile it was kind of like marshmallow cream. This is, of course, one of my lame reviews, as I have another musician due to show up for a rehearsal any minute, but I wanted to at least mention that I had drank it. I think I wrote a much more extensive review when I first got this tea, if you’re looking for that sort of thing.

Final comment: Sometimes with fancy teas such as this one, teas that require me to be fully present (which I strive to be at all times, but who’s perfect, right?), teas that boast such a wonderful array of flavors, textures, aromas, etc…sigh…sometimes I feel like I’m waiting for something to happen. I mean, there are days where every sip is a revelation. Then there are days where I can’t identify a vowel (if a vowel were a flavor). Sometimes it’s familiar, I know that I know it, I know that I have tasted it…somewhere…but what is it?
Other times I’m caught up in the headiness of an amazingly intricate nirvana of flavors, and I love those times, when I am fully present like I was back in the day, tripping on shrooms & watching houseplants move. (Not an indorsement here, but I ate so many of those back then, I can still watch houseplants move, & they make soft slurping sounds when you water them too. BTW, a few years ago I spent an entire afternoon in my sunroom, watching a meyer lemon flower bloom…it was amazing…so I am capable of being present, sometimes…lol).

ummm….where was I?

Jiāng Luo

Is it worth the $10/oz in your mind? Is it something unique? I have a lot of dancong at the moment some haven’t lived up to my expectations(particularly the more expensive ones).

Terri HarpLady

It’s hard to say, T87, as that’s a personal thing. I ended up not ordering, although I had planned to get an oz of this, & an oz of the other dancong, the Tong Tian, which is the one I was actually more interested in.
The thing with teas like this is they aren’t something I’d want to drink everyday (like my beloved black teas), they are more a novelty, something unique to enjoy on occasion, or to share with a friend, but they require time. I often drink such teas when I have students in the afternoon,or when I’m working at my desk, because I can re-steep as often as I want. But if I don’t have time for multiple steepings, it’s better to drink something uncomplicated. :)

Jiāng Luo

I call those “home teas” when you need to take time and brew them correctly which can be taxing but I find my most enjoyment from. I think I will open more of my recent verdant order and see if anything blows me away. The laoshan roasted oolong didn’t taste that much different from the laoshan black (not a bad thing but it’s 50% more expensive).

Comments

Jiāng Luo

Terri HarpLady

Jiāng Luo

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO