This has been one of those teas that I consider hoard-worthy, & so I have a couple of different versions of it, & it even warrants a special tin! This is the last cup of a batch from last year, maybe last spring? I can’t remember for sure, & that is before I started labeling the packages with a date as they come in.
No matter…
The original Zhu Rong I fell in love with was deeply chocolatey, like a dark fancy unsweetened chocolate bar from some exotic location, with a snazzy wrapper, & it costs way more than you want to spend, but you know that you are going to save it for an extremely special occasion, that you’re going to let every square melt in your mouth, & it’s so worth it.
This may be the last cup of that tea. Or not. Teas do change from season to season. There is more or less rain, or the grower may do a little something different with the leaf. I’m sure there are many variables, so I have packages from Summer & from Fall. I’ll probably order a few oz of the current offering as well, although I’ve noticed that the description of the tea has changed considerably. I meant to save this last cup’s worth, so that I could compare them all, but instead I’m just enjoying it for what it is, & it is good.

boychik

Do you prefer Spring or Fall harvest for Yunnan black?

Ze_Teamaker

Ah yes, this tea. I feel in love with the second version of it. First one was nice and smokey as well.

Terri HarpLady

Boychik, I’ve never compared them, to be honest.
BTW, your package arrived on Saturday! :)

boychik

Yay! The reason I’m asking I saw some discussion that fall harvest produces richer blacks. I dunno

Terri HarpLady

The newer package I’m opening is from last summer I think, so when I get near the bottom of it, I’ll open the fall package & try to compare them, if I remember! hahaha
It might be awhile…

Comments

boychik

Do you prefer Spring or Fall harvest for Yunnan black?

Ze_Teamaker

Terri HarpLady

Boychik, I’ve never compared them, to be honest.
BTW, your package arrived on Saturday! :)

It might be awhile…

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO