My green tea of the day, this is one that I have not had a particularly good relation with. I originally tried using the cup method, where you blow away the leaves & occasionally add more water, & I have never had good luck with that method. The tea always becomes terribly bitter & astringent. Today I went with the short steepings, which I much prefer, & this has probably been my most favorite session with this particular tea ever, which is interesting because I’m having horrible allergies today, with a throbbing head & aching lungs, feeling very irritable, & yet this tea session was a lovely little break from the norm.

4G + test tube steeper X 176F
3 sec – Today I’m really getting the rosewater reference, & a gentle creamy quality
3 sec – A little more savory green-ness, like delicate pea shoots, which I often grow in the windowsill during late winter, as a salad & stir fry addition.
3 sec a little bitter, but kind of head clearing, almost like a young sheng.
I combined the next 3 steeps of 6/9/12 sec in a jar, as my stomach had enough for now. The jar is in the frig, chilling out for later.
I have a new appreciation for this tea, which by the way is from last spring’s harvest, TOMC May.

Edit: Did I mention that I have asparagus & lettuces happening in my garden? I ate the first asps on friday, & today for lunch I had a salad of red sails lettuce, parsley, green onion, & violets, lightly dressed with balsamic pear vinegar, olive oil, & pink salt. With that I had a can of olive oil packed yellow fin, & I a pile of asparagus & spring onions, steamed lightly in a little bit of this tea. It made for a beautiful composed salad plate, & I drank the rest of this tea, chilled. It was refreshing, with a slight citrus edge as if there were a squeeze of lime.

TeaBrat

It must be so lovely to have a garden, a definite drawback of city life!

Terri HarpLady

It is really nice! I am basically just outside St. Louis city limits, in the first suburb, Maplewood. So it’s not like I’m out in the country, or anything like that, but I am lucky to have a double lot, so there’s lots of room for growing things :)

Comments

TeaBrat

It must be so lovely to have a garden, a definite drawback of city life!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve explored a variety of teas:
Whites tend to be a little bland…sorry
Oolongs – wonderfully sensual
Roobios – I’m not a fan in general
Puehr – a fairly new direction for me

And Black Tea, Oh how I love thee!!
I am on a quest for the most wonderful breakfast cup! I will find you, my Love!

St. Louis, MO