drank Hibiscus by Custom Blend

So, I hope I don’t get in trouble for adding my own tea. It’s much like Mountain Rose Herb’s Hibiscus High, but instead of orange peel and lemon balm, they use lemon peel and lemon grass. I don’t that makes too much of a difference based on how much hibiscus is in it, but I haven’t tried Hibiscus high, and I didn’t realize my tea was so similar until I received the catalog and after I ordered all of my herbs separately.

I have to say I have no idea what I’m doing when I mix tea. I don’t have any proper way of measuring it. My process is rather haphazard actually. First I take all the bags out of the closet. Then I realize I grabbed a different herb, usually lavender, and so I go back to the cabinet for the right thing, usually spearmint, dropping bags in the process. Then I usually add each item to my tea bag, varying the amount, but I usually leave hibiscus as the dominant ingredient.

I actually bought everything originally, because I had rose hips, but making tea with just rose hips left me with a sour and one-note brew.

Anyway, the predominant scent once mixed is of spearmint, followed by the fruity scent of the hibiscus that is almost but not very citrusy. The flavor of hibiscus is rather complex as is the scent, so it overpowers the other ingredients. Since I haven’t had the hibiscus by itself, I don’t think I could explain how the other ingredients assert themselves. I will try to add that later for a more complex description.

This tea is a bright red and very opaque. It almost looks like fruit punch and has a strong fruity flavor. Re-steeping results in a mild orange-red color with no flavor, so I wouldn’t say it’s worth keeping the bag for a second use.

Flavors: Berry, Champagne, Citrus, Lemon, Mint

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 0 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML
Kaylee

It would probably make more sense to put this note under Random Steepings than make a new tea page every time you blend your own tea in small quantities. http://steepster.com/teas/various-artists/30627-random-steepings

Comments

Kaylee

It’s almost time for elevensies, and I haven’t even had second breakfast. You don’t mind if I leave this blank, do you?

Just kidding.

So, there isn’t much to say honestly. I suppose I could say I enjoy tea – something quite obvious given my account. I could say that I’m not Peregrin Took as well, also obvious.

But what I should say is that I’m also not a tea connoisseur – thank god for spell check, I also never studied French. Anyway, the difference between me and other users of this site, aside from the tea reviews, is that I don’t wake up every morning and automatically turn the kettle on. Formation at 0500 is one of the main issues. Further, on weekends I often ask myself, do I want tea? Whenever I open my cabinet, I am conflicted because I have the teas that I drink often, and the rest of my teas which I anthropomorphize on occasion, imagining them to be quite sad for their prolonged abandonment.

A forlorn shadow has taken over the bottom corner of my cabinet. “I never see you any more,” the organic assam in the corner says.
“I thought you didn’t like me,” I whisper, ashamed.
“You never treated me right,” she answers, voice almost pleading. “I’m delicate.”
I reach for the Earl Grey. “Today just isn’t the day,” I tell her. “Maybe tomorrow.”

I’m sorry, I promise I’m not crazy. Anyway, I’m trying to figure out how the swaps work. Is anyone interested in trading something for nearly 8 oz of organic Assam tea?

Keep calm and drink more tea, is what I always say. (I don’t actually say this.) Also, no caffeine after noon. Luckily, there’s a tisane for everybody. Add cocoa if you need it – and do’t confuse it for coca.