Ok, I’m sorry I haven’t been posting many reviews as of late. Life has gotten a little crazy. But I’m trying to organize it a little better these days (heck my house still isn’t unpacked from the move)! Anyway, this is me trying to get back into the swing of things.

So I was a the mall today and stopped into Teavana because I’ve been meaning to try Genmaicha for a while now and I knew they had it so why wait for an order from somewhere else? I also opted to get a cup to co with a hint of agave per the barista’s suggestion. This one is truly an acquired taste. I did like it, but I wasn’t so sure at first. It really had the toasty notes there but nothing else at first. Then halfway into the cup I really got the green tea and it was awesome! I’m going to experiment a little with brew times to see what works for my taste but I think I may have found a green tea I really like. I think I’ll have to try a few other tea locals versions of this tea…oh darn more tea to try! ;)

SimpliciTEA

I agree that this tea is an acquired taste. I have tried two different versions of it, and although I generally enjoy Japanese green teas, I didn’t care for this one. Still, I haven’t completely closed the door on it yet.

Good to hear from you, and I hope your unpacking goes as smoothly as it can!

The Purrfect Cup

I’m going to try a few other places for this too. Do you have any suggestions?

I hope the unpacking goes a little faster myself! I’ve also started up a new temp job too which is keeping me pretty busy too. Hoping things calm a little so I can get back to enjoying each and every sip of tea. :)

SimpliciTEA

You could always try Den’s Tea. They have a green tea sampler for $3 that has Genmaicha in it (http://www.denstea.com/bnew-to-dens-teab-c-377.html). Oh, I just noticed that the tea you reviewed is Gyokuro Genmaicha, I haven’t tried that, just regular Genmaicha. Still, here’s another company I recently discovered that I haven’t tried yet, but their prices look pretty good, and they are direct: http://www.hibiki-an.com/default.php/cPath/36?osCsid=hdiv7og4km592viu7c2m006ke1

Good luck with your new temp job, too!

Kashyap

I just looked at Hibiki an’s website and while I love tea from Uji, considering the market, the nuclear disaster, and the fact that its ‘direct’ shipping…seems to me $100/# for genmaicha is a bit expensive (most of the prices are based on 2.3-4oz and average $27).

SimpliciTEA

What caught my attention on Hibiki an’s website was, as you mention, that they ship direct, but what held it was the price for their ‘everyday gyokuro’: $35/7 OZ = $5/OZ. That’s a great price for—what I would hope to be—reasonably good gyokuro.

But, I agree, it looks like their prices for genmaicha are pretty steep.

Comments

SimpliciTEA

Good to hear from you, and I hope your unpacking goes as smoothly as it can!

The Purrfect Cup

I’m going to try a few other places for this too. Do you have any suggestions?

SimpliciTEA

Good luck with your new temp job, too!

Kashyap

SimpliciTEA

But, I agree, it looks like their prices for genmaicha are pretty steep.

Upstate New York