THANK YOU STACY FROM BUTIKI FOR THIS PRE-RELEASE SAMPLE!

So I got this as a free sample from Butiki in my recent order…a handwritten note from Stacy said:

«brand new Watermelon Xylophone which has not yet hit our website!»

How cool is that???

Made me feel so special!  I asked her if she would want me to add it in order to review it or wait for it’s official release.  She graciously provided the ingredients so I can do a proper review.

The tea is pretty, what isn’t pretty about silver needles?  Also, blended in are some cute pinkish purple Globe Amaranth petals.  Now I had to google that!  Call me ignorant, but I had no clue what they were;

«an all-time flower-gardening favorite. It seems to have it all — it thrives in hot conditions, it blooms nearly nonstop, the interesting pom-pom flowers are great for cutting and drying, and it attracts butterflies. Plant globe amaranth and then step back to watch it thrive and add continual beauty until frost.».  Well I need to get me some of those!

She had also written on the note some thoughtful recommendation for brewing instructions: « we highly recommend adding sugar to that tea or waiting until the tea has cooled down significantly»

Hummm…  I rarely add any sugar to anything.  And not trying the tea while it’s hot?   Ask a girl NOT to do something and what will she do?…

…I had it hot, with no sugar… Common, I didn’t intend to have it all this way, just have a sip out of curiosity!

It was very delicate, as a good silver needle.  But not much flavoring going on, I could barely detect any watermelon.  A slight flowery taste emerging, but that’s about it.

Conclusion:  got to listen to the maker and add sugar.  I added about 1/2 tsp of pure coconut sugar and I let it cool down for a while. The taste:  she knew what she was talking about… Watermelon?  Oh yeah!  Just like magic, the sugar brought that flavor out, all of a sudden, it’s juicy and luscious. Not in a bold in your face kind of way, but as a real watermelon squeezed juice, as if you just did that, squeezed a large wedge of watermelon over  a fresh cup of silver needle.  There’s also that flowery taste that lingers in your mouth…Feels like a summer reminder, already taking a step back and inviting autumn to take over…

I’m in love with Butiki, I feel as if I never had «real» flavored teas before!

Now why is it called Watermelon Xylophone? I know it’s most probably far from the truth, but here’s my interpretation:  first, the needles do remind me of the long keys of a xylophone.  And just like a xylophone, the taste escalates and explodes in a beautiful ascent!

I feel so honored I got to try this!

momo

Oh my gosh, this just made me more excited for this tea. I can’t wait to order it when it’s out!!!

TheTeaFairy

I know!! I’m still not over the fact that I didn’t order Flowery Pineapple oolong…now I have another reason to re-order from them, as if I need one…Not funny, soon I’ll be facing bankruptcy because of severe tea addiction!

Butiki Teas

I love your guess for why the tea is called Watermelon Xylophone. Much more poetic than how it came to be. :)

Sugar is really needed for this blend or at least it needs to cool. If I had added the dried watermelon the natural sugars could have enhanced the flavors but I couldn’t find a suitable watermelon that met our standards. I searched the web but did find an amazing dried watermelon on nuts.com. Yum. Sort of like a natural watermelon taffy. Unfortunately, it had to much moisture to be added to tea.

Awesome so glad you got to try this ahead of time. I’m actually tempted to try it now as I wasn’t before since I usually don’t like watermelon flavored things. Really looking forward to the grapefruit one.

Bonnie

Very nice. The fact that you too time with this tea and explained everything is so good. Sugar can be important sometimes but not always to the taste in tea. Also, the tea mixologist knows what they’re talking about!

mpierce87

OK you sold me. I must have this when it becomes available. :-)

Fjellrev

I’m liking the name of this. :)

tigress_al

Sounds yummy! Nice preview

TheTeaFairy

@Butiki: can’t wait to find out the real story behind the name:-)

TheTeaFairy

@Sil: Yes, I think you should give it a try, the more if you’re not a big fan of watermelon since it’s not a Jolly Rancher type of flavoring!

@Bonnie: I’m learning about putting sweet in my tea when it’s needed. Don’t hate me for it, but I’m not much of a sweet tooth. The only sweet I usually get is from fruits (lots of them!), dark chocolate and dessert tea! What I’m now getting is that SOMETIMES, sweet (when added in the right amount), enhences the flavor as opposed to mask it. This tea was a good example of that:-)

Butiki Teas

TheTeaFairy-Should have the story up on our blog today. :)

Butiki Teas

Watermelon Xylophone has officially hit our website! :)

Comments

momo

Bonnie

mpierce87

OK you sold me. I must have this when it becomes available. :-)

Fjellrev

I’m liking the name of this. :)

tigress_al

Sounds yummy! Nice preview

TheTeaFairy

@Butiki: can’t wait to find out the real story behind the name:-)

Butiki Teas

TheTeaFairy-Should have the story up on our blog today. :)

Butiki Teas

Watermelon Xylophone has officially hit our website! :)

Time to update this profile of mine…it’s 2015!!

I am French Canadian, so please forgive me if my English is not always perfect :-/

My relationship with tea in a nutshell:

I’m married to straight Black. I have torrid love affairs with Oolong and Puerh. I party with Green and White occasionally. Flavored are not my BFF, I usually stay away from them.

Love Steepster, a place for tea lovers, where you learn and share with others.

About me:

I am a free spirit, I let people be who they are and expect the same in return.

Books! I love classic literature, but also modern and pretty much anything that captures my attention.

Music is also something I can’t live without… From Bach to Nirvana, my ears know no boundaries…

Animal and nature lover, amateur photographer.

I’ve been drinking tea for as long as I can remember.

Not a big «swapper», but will occasionally. Not because I don’t want to share but because I’m trying not to hoard so much.

Also, I have narrowed down the teas I really like over the years, and I don’t feel the need to try and buy everything the way I used to. (Maybe I have become a tea snob? Sigh…)

My ratings: because I pretty much drink only teas that I judge exceptional, my ratings are usually high. Don’t be shocked to see lots of 90’s and a few 100’s. That’s because I’ve had my share of crapy teas and I’m done with that ;-)

You can find me on Instagram here, I post about my tea sessions mostly, but also about the beautiful nature that surrounds me, and my fury companions :-)

The Laurentians, Canada