TEA & NASCAR, the sequel

Oh, if I keep on disappearing like this, you good Steepster people will just forget about me! Please don’t, I’ve got potential I promise!

This time, I will spare you the details of my recent ordeals and the object of my disappearance, too complicated! Straight to the tea story.

It was Mr.Right’s birthday… and I wanted it to be real special.

Heart coming out of your chest special.

Jaw dropping to the floor special.

You get that.

I’ve had to prepare for a whole year and keep my secret. That was tough! The surprise has to do with Nascar. I wanted to offer the gift in the most unexpected way…

I thought of his last Nascar adventure this summer that also involved my Butiki tea order (read my Butiki Flowery Pineapple Oolong review for details). I thought it would be fun to bring tea and Nascar together again. My big passion meeting his!

We celebrated his birthday on Saturday, that’s when I gave him his “fake” gift in order to keep the real thing for this Sunday’s ordinary moment. (I like him destabilized.)

As I’m preparing breakfast, I ask: «Could you bring my Butiki box please? The black one with the golden trim». (I keep identified metal boxes for each tea stores, Butiki has one of the fancy box cause I consider them fancy teas!!)

He hands me the box. «Honey if you don’t mind, please open it and fetch the Premium Taiwanese Assam sample, I’ve been wanting to try it for awhile».

His reply: «If you don’t mind, I’ll let you do that, Too many pouches to go through».

Sigh. What now, he MUST open the box. Period. How frustrating, you have this beautiful scenario all written in your head, and right from the start, you get no cooperation.

Second attempt: «Can’t you see I’m preparing YOUR breakfast? Enough said, be a darling and get me that tea. please».

I get “the look” for that, but sure enough, he opens the box. He doesn’t even pay attention to the VERY OBVIOUS rolled parchment paper sitting on top. Diligent him, he tosses the parchment aside cause he’s taking his “assignment” seriously. He’s looking for a mini pouch of Assam, no interrest whatsoever in that very intriguing piece of paper… totally CLUELESS!!!

«Got it!» he says, victorious. He hands me the pouch and turns around leaving everything there.

????

«Aren’t you gonna put the box ant its content back to its place?»

Here it comes, I get the Gee whiz, you’re so bossy this morning!» comment.

It’s OK, I’m willingly taking the heat, totally worth it.

He takes the parchment back in his hands, and it finally dawns on him to ask: «What’s this?»

«Well, I don’t know, maybe you should open it and read what is says!»

Now I get the suspicious look and he starts unrolling. About time! I’m not kidding, his mouth literally opens and stays that way for at least 15 seconds! Happy me, that’s what I was aiming for!

«Is this for real?Do not mess with me woman, tell me this is not a joke»

«Happy birthday mon chéri. No joke. You are going to the Daytona 500 opening race in february. Oh, and by the way, it’s VIP. VIP week end, VIP pass, Fan Zone included. And I think it is mentioned somewhere that you are going with your Nascar body. I’m sure you’ll miss me, but I’m sitting this one out, that’s how much I love you».

Yep, I’m sacrificing a couple of days at the beach in order to give him the ultimate experience. I’m not a race chick, what can I say? In order to live the moment to the fullest, I feel he needs someone by his side who can also fully appreciate it… His best Nascar body!

This moment will stay engraved in my mind forever. Can’t underestimate someone’s passion for something. Yes, he’s getting older, but his heart is the one of a 10 year old right now.

Later, I had my Assam. Well deserved I’d say!

I was very curious about how it would compare to Butiki Organic Assam. I followed the recommended steeping of 3 min.

Oh my, wow! What is this? First, I must mention how interesting the wet leaves are. They are much larger than other Assams and are fully opened after first steep. I couldn’t help examining one, it has the texture of tender steamed spinach. They smell divinely of chocolate and cinnamon. They rendered a deep orange amber liquor.

First sip fills my mouth with sweet potato, dark chocolate and cinnamon. Bam! So unexpected from an Assam, so sweet, as if a few drops of maple syrup had landed in my cup. But, no, it’s natural goodness.

Oh my, I could have this all day long. It’s hard to compare to some other teas cause I feel it is totally unique. But if I have to, I’d say it resembles Teavivre Monkey Black for its very chocolaty distinction.

Organic Assam is closer to your regular big bold breakfast tea, which I also adore for these specific reasons. But this is taking me somewhere else!

Oriental exotic sweet and spicy notes, awakening all my senses. I wish I had more, I would brew it a little stronger. As it cools down, it gets a tad astringent, and I can taste the raisins that are being mentioned. I’m not a big fan of hard liquor, but for some reason, I would pair this hot beverage with a splash of rum on a cold winter day!

Looks like this one is making my must have list.

In conclusion, I love surprises, in any shape or form. This tea was a big surprise and was perfect for the occasion, thanks agains Stacy for thinking I would love it, you were spot on!!

momo

Love the surprise! Also very jealous because I am missing out on my favorite race this weekend to attend (Petit Le Mans) to work that night! Also love the way you did the surprise. It’s always fun to make them work for it!

Hesper June

Wow! You are awesome!

Butiki Teas

Wow, awesome gift! Very creative way to trick him. I bet he was very surprised. That’s so cool that our teas were part of the trickery and that we get a fancy box. This is one of my absolutely favorite morning teas. I let it brew for like 5 minutes, love my morning tea extra strong.

TheTeaFairy

@Momo: oh, I recognize you! haven’t been on Steepster for awhile, guess I’ve missed on why you’ve had to change your identity. Hope it’s nothing serious!
For the surprise, well with him, I have to be creative, and the way to go about it is through simplicity cause he’s naturally suspicious. That’s why I did it the day after his actual birthday when he wasn’t expecting anything else!
P.S. hope you don’t miss on too many races because of work schedule!

TheTeaFairy

@Hesper: He’s the awesome one, that’s why I don’t mind going out of my way for him, he’s worth it :-)

@Butiki: Believe me, you deserve the fancy box! This one is on top of my list, can’t wait for a longer and stronger steep!

momo

Good :) Just a little thing with my job happened, kind of creepy but hey I’ll change my internet identity to have both fun on here and make money.

Bonnie

What a great romantic story…sigh…he should sweep you off your feet and repay you with unending flowers, kisses and cups of tea. Tell him grandma Bonnie says he should learn to make you breakfast in bed! Romantic! (maybe he does this already…your Mr. Right!) I love this!

TheTeaFairy

@momo: oh, work related, that’s a tricky one. whatever happens, definitely keep the fun around!

@Bonnie: you’ve seen his picture, he is what he looks like: a great guy! As for your comment, I will make him read it, breakfast in bed next week end sounds great! Too bad cooking is not his thing, oh well, he’s not perfect! We’ll have him stick to cup of teas, flowers and kisses!

Ninavampi

Love your story!!! It was totally worth it! :)

Comments

momo

Hesper June

Wow! You are awesome!

Butiki Teas

TheTeaFairy

P.S. hope you don’t miss on too many races because of work schedule!

Bonnie

Ninavampi

Love your story!!! It was totally worth it! :)

I am French Canadian, so please forgive me if my English is not always perfect!

My relationship with tea in a nut shell:

Love Steepster, a place for tea lovers, where you learn and share with others…

About me:

Art is food for the soul…I consume lots of it.

Animal and nature lover, I will never let a fury friend in needs.

near montreal