drank Milk Oolong by Mandala Tea

Backlog from yesterday…

Ahhh…Gongfu love in the afternoon…yes, being off work allows me to have tea sessions in the middle of the day if I choose to!

Dexter3657 sent me this generous sample. Me and milk oolong have a history. I have tried several, I like both the scented and the non scented version so I always keep a provision of both from two different companies. I thought I had find my favourite non scented milk oolong and have been sticking to it. Then came along Mandala, and all of a sudden we are caught in a love triangle. Yes this tea just blurred my focus, and made me question my current relationship.

First, the smell of the dry nuggets is quite interesting. It’s a mix of sweet and creamy, almost candy like. No sign of the strong dairy smell you get from a scented version.

As soon I took my first sip, I noted cotton candy on my pad. The sweetness I found in the first two steeps just evoked that. I get some nuttiness and creaminess, but not so much buttery notes. The milk oolong I’m used to is more floral than this one. This is fruitier.

At the 3rd steep, I got less sweets and a slight bitterness.

The 4th infusion brought the sweets back, some more present buttery notes and I got a very distinct fresh and clean mouthfeel, light camphor note, reminiscent of Ginseng oolong.

The subsequent steeps all brought their share of deliciousness and happiness. It eventually evolved in a more fruity and floral taste. I cold steeped the used leaves and 12 hours later, I’m having a delicious fruity and refreshing beverage. In conclusion, this tea is more complex than your average milk oolong. It transforms along the way, giving a lot of unexpected notes. Yet, the usual creaminess of such a tea stays present.

Thank you so much Dexter for this wonderful tea…I am grateful…but my budget might not be!

(Now, I have to hurt some other tea’s feeling by dumping it. Sorry, but a more exciting fellow milk oolong just came into my life and can’t be ignored!)

Flowery

Love this. I know all teas are special in their own way, yadda, yadda, yadda, but if I want to confuse and intrigue a non-tea lover, this is where I start.

Dexter

Can you love them both? Is there room in your heart, budget. cupboard for both?

TheTeaFairy

I totally agree, Flowery!

Hmmm, Dexter, I could always keep them both, but it wouldn’t work out, I’m a one love kind of gal :-)
( says the girl with 300+ teas in the cupboard…)
Thanks for recommending them, I foresee a long and lasting relashionship with Mandala…Garrett, please to meat meet you, watch it, here I come :-)

Garret

Here I am, TeaFairy! A pleasure to make your acquaintance! I dig your review style.

Thanks!!!

mrmopar

One of the best is Garret! He has some fine teas over there.

Comments

Flowery

Dexter

Can you love them both? Is there room in your heart, budget. cupboard for both?

TheTeaFairy

I totally agree, Flowery!

( says the girl with 300+ teas in the cupboard…)

Garret

Thanks!!!

mrmopar

One of the best is Garret! He has some fine teas over there.

I am French Canadian, so please forgive me if my English is not always perfect!

My relationship with tea in a nut shell:

Love Steepster, a place for tea lovers, where you learn and share with others…

About me:

Art is food for the soul…I consume lots of it.

Animal and nature lover, I will never let a fury friend in needs.

I love taking tea pics, here’s my Instagram:

The Laurentians, Canada