So I don’t drink Sheng often enough.

And when I do, I keep telling myself, jeez, why don’t you, silly?

Maybe cause it requires more commitment than some other teas? Like, I can’t have this while cleaning up the house or doing chores. No, that would be disrespectful. If I have it, it has to be at a moment when I know I can dedicate time to it.

I think Terri said it propels her into a cosmic state of mind. I agree, this is legal drugs.

This being so “young” feels almost like a white tea, it has that White Peony apricot-y peachy taste, with very sweet honey notes.

3rd and 4th steep bring something very floral with soft woody notes. The wet leaves smell spectacular, wet wood and eucalyptus.

I find zero astringency in this, very smooth and soothing.

Then, something unexpected happens…it morphs into a fuller bodied tea, stronger bark notes and assertive spicy sweet taste. It reminds me of Ginseng Oolong. I also get some roasted almond. The colour of the brew intensifies as well.

I’m just starting to play with it, my afternoon will be peaceful I can already tell.

Doctor prescribed new anxiety pills yesterday…I think I should just keep drinking this instead :-)

Cheri

I really need to start trying sheng. It all sounds so delicious. But that whole time commitment…..

TheTeaFairy

Cheri, this is only me though…maybe others do drink it while doing chores and it’s just fine :-)

Ysaurella

tea is definitively a better companion than pills. But you can have your pills with a cup of tea, I’m sure your doc would prefer that.

TheTeaFairy

Lol, you are probably right Ysaurella ;-)

yyz

Drinking tea in a ritualized way can be very calming. I’m a little weird in that when I’ve suffered through periods of anxiety, the best thing for me to do is to travel somewhere completely new alone. There is something about the stimulus of new things, new languages, and new knowledge that settles me in some way. If I’m at home all I will do is sleep. In Myers-Brigg I am half way between an INFP and ENFP, it makes for a strange set of circumstances where people turn to me for leadership that I usually just fall into, and conversation, but I like long stretches of time alone as well.

TheTeaFairy

Lol “new and alone” would not be good for me right now, but I totally dig what you just wrote, thanks for that. I work in a high performance environment as a leader, I’m off work right now. Alone time as always been a priority in my life as well, something I need as much as I need air to breathe!

SWApilot

Master Han makes some great Shengs. His 2004 Shou was really good.

Terri HarpLady

Master Han (Solo) is the Jedi Master of Tea :)

MzPriss

I love sheng so much (and shu too) but with the exception of Special Dark which I steep western style pretty much every day, I don’t have it often enough. And the time commitment is exactly why. I have some really nice puers and I don’t feel like I do justice to them if I don’t sit down and carve out time dedicated to just tasting them. So I don’t have them often enough and I need to find a way to do that because shengs hit my re-set button and whenever I make the time for them like I did yesterday, I always tell myself that it needs to happen more often.

Comments

Cheri

Ysaurella

TheTeaFairy

Lol, you are probably right Ysaurella ;-)

yyz

SWApilot

Master Han makes some great Shengs. His 2004 Shou was really good.

Terri HarpLady

Master Han (Solo) is the Jedi Master of Tea :)

MzPriss

I am French Canadian, so please forgive me if my English is not always perfect!

My relationship with tea in a nut shell:

Love Steepster, a place for tea lovers, where you learn and share with others…

About me:

Art is food for the soul…I consume lots of it.

Animal and nature lover, I will never let a fury friend in needs.

I love taking tea pics, here’s my Instagram:

The Laurentians, Canada