albertocanfly and gmathis, this is totally your fault ;-)

All this talk about mint has inspired me to brew my favourite. Had to wait for my wild mint to grow first. I tell you, this recipe requires a lot of skills…you need fresh mint, boiling water, and a clear glass mug.

That’s it folks!

This is what you do. You fill the cup with LOTS of fresh mint, leaves and stems. I usually take one large bunch so everything is attached together. My personal favourite is sweet spearmint.

Poor some just boiled water in a glass mug in order to watch the show. Don’t cover, just watch the leaves dance, they will become a vibrant emerald green. Wait a good 5 minutes and start sipping. Don’t remove the leaves, the tea will become even more flavourful as you drink it. Will never become bitter.

I learned to do that about four years ago in a Thai restaurant. When I asked for mint tea, that’s what they brought me. I fell in love with it. Who knew mint tea could be so easy and so much more flavourful this way!

I planted my own mint that summer…it still grows and has become a bush. I can have sweet mint tea all I want, it’s so relaxing and helps me feel at peace, especially at night.

For those who have never experienced mint that way, a must try :-)

MzPriss

I do this in the summer and then put it in the fridge for cold tea. I add some lemon balm to mine and it is luscious!

mj

That sounds delightful! TheTeaFairy, you are now not only my tea-enabler, you are my houseplant enabler. You’ve just given me an excuse to get a mint plant. Chocolate mint, I think! I already bought two new plants this weekend and this will bring my houseplant total to 11…in my 1 bedroom apartment lol.

TheTeaFairy

MzPriss, the lemon balm thing sounds delicious, will have to try!

Mj, chocolate mint is an awesome idea! As for being your houseplant enabler, please don’t let it be me, you will only kill anything you try to grow lol, I’m terrible with plants!

The only reason my mint is doing so well is because it takes care of itself, just like my rhubarb and other herbs I have. No matter how bad I mistreat them, they keep coming back for more the next year…that tells me there are such a thing as masochist plants!

Good luck with it though, let me know when you have your first fresh mint tea :-)

gmathis

Happy to oblige! We have had an unusual late spring/early summer here; lots of lots of rain without much heat. The mint “plantation” is loving it…SW Missouri is typically hotter and drier; I may not be so lucky next year.

MJ, chocolate mint seems to be the hardiest of the types I’ve tried so far.

mj

Haha TheTeaFairy I just need enabling for the purchase of the plants. After that, I can probably handle the care. I’ve had a few of my plants for years now! BTW, I bought three different mint varieties: chocolate mint, lavender mint, and strawberry mint.

gmathis

Hadn’t seen lavender or strawberry yet. Will be interested to hear how those progress!

albertocanfly

tehehe…mint tea is just so incredibly refreshing!!! . And I love drinking it this way, it tastes amazing and the leaves in the cup are always gorgeous (it is mandatory for me to drink tea like this in clear mug :D)

Comments

MzPriss

TheTeaFairy

MzPriss, the lemon balm thing sounds delicious, will have to try!

gmathis

MJ, chocolate mint seems to be the hardiest of the types I’ve tried so far.

albertocanfly

Time to update this profile of mine…it’s 2015!!

I am French Canadian, so please forgive me if my English is not always perfect :-/

My relationship with tea in a nutshell:

I’m married to straight Black. I have torrid love affairs with Oolong and Puerh. I party with Green and White occasionally. Flavored are not my BFF, I usually stay away from them.

Love Steepster, a place for tea lovers, where you learn and share with others.

About me:

I am a free spirit, I let people be who they are and expect the same in return.

Books! I love classic literature, but also modern and pretty much anything that captures my attention.

Music is also something I can’t live without… From Bach to Nirvana, my ears know no boundaries…

Animal and nature lover, amateur photographer.

I’ve been drinking tea for as long as I can remember.

Not a big «swapper», but will occasionally. Not because I don’t want to share but because I’m trying not to hoard so much.

Also, I have narrowed down the teas I really like over the years, and I don’t feel the need to try and buy everything the way I used to. (Maybe I have become a tea snob? Sigh…)

My ratings: because I pretty much drink only teas that I judge exceptional, my ratings are usually high. Don’t be shocked to see lots of 90’s and a few 100’s. That’s because I’ve had my share of crapy teas and I’m done with that ;-)

You can find me on Instagram here, I post about my tea sessions mostly, but also about the beautiful nature that surrounds me, and my fury companions :-)

The Laurentians, Canada