drank Matcha Matsu by DAVIDsTEA

I finally made my first matcha ever. I just received the bamboo whisk I ordered from Teavana along with a double walled glass bowl. I told myself after watching a youtube video, girl this is something you can do! I’ve only had matcha at the sushi restaurant, and I never felt the need to try and make it myself, thinking I wouldn’t know what to do with it… After reading a comment from Eisenherz, I’ve decided what the heck, I’m giving it a shot.

So here we are… matcha and I, staring at each other. I have everything ready for it, and Mr Right is watching, already amused at what is about to happen. “What, you don’t think I can’t do this???” He smiles: " Oh, you’re gonna do it alright, and I will laugh…" OK, now he’s hurting my feelings. Is he referring to the fact that I can be a little messy in the kitchen? I’ll show him how it’s done!

I try to do everything as I remember on the video. About 1 1/2 teaspoon of the pretty jade powder for about 8 oz of hot water. I pour a bit of water and whisk slowly to turn the precious powder into some kind of muddy mixture, then I add the rest of the water. I start whisking frantically, in that W motion I have witnessed. What happens next is not my finest moment… the bowl is too small? By the time I stop whisking, MY KITCHEN COUNTER LOOKS LIKE A GOLF COURSE!

And yes, Mr Right is having fun, laughing is head off. He asks “Is this part of the ritual?”

I swallow my pride, and I taste it. Crap, the taste of it is as much of a mess as it was to make…

BITTER, BITTER, BITTER!

Matcha: 1
TheTeaFairy: big fat 0

I’ll be calling for a rematch very soon… no tasting note, for now!

dee

You should add sweetener most of the matcha lattes made in stores use some kind of sweetener

Ninavampi

I’m looking forward to the rematch! : )

TheTeaFairy

Oh, this is not over, that’s sure…There will be delicious matcha in this house…eventually!

Feebs

Calling for a rematch…a?

astrolito

I put agave nectar in mine :)

aisling of tea

You might want to try less matcha? I don’t ever use more than about half a teaspoon per 8 oz…and I sweeten mine to hell and back XD

TheTeaFairy

Thanks Bigelow for the tip…I rarely add sugar to anything but I will for sure use less matcha next time, maybe a second attempt during week end? to be followed…

canadianadia

I love this tealog, it reminds me of my first encounter with matcha

TheTeaFairy

Canadianadia, you’ve also encountered matcha misfortune? Lol, had almost forgot about this post, it’s been a while! Matcha is just not a good fit for me I’m afraid…have you had any success with it?