drank Ice Cream Cake by DAVIDsTEA

The beau has been dying to brew some of this up, so I figured we’d give it a go. The first thing I noticed was a lot of “scum” on the top, likely from the chocolate, sprinkles and freeze dried ice cream. Neat idea, but not so attractive in practice. However, I have had a couple DT teas like this, and I’m not worried. The smell is yummy but very sweet – sweet is where my fear comes in here. I rarely sweeten my tea, and it bothers me that this one has stevia built in.

This one is really sweet. Very sweet. Some sips I enjoyed, where most I felt like I was drowning in sugar. Not quite the tea for me, though the idea was interesting. I could sort of see where ice cream cake was coming from, but it was sweeter than ice cream, if that makes sense. When I think of ice cream cake, I think of Dairy Queen cakes, and yummy fudge crumble in the middle with vanilla on the top, chocolate on the bottom and whipped cream icing. MMMM! Also, I did get an alcohol smell from the dry leaf – what does that? Is that the stevia leaf? Personally, I find it a little unsettling, though I have no problem with alcohol. Just not quite my thing.

LiberTEAS

The alcohol smell is probably a residual scent from the flavoring oil that is used in tea. Teas don’t always have that smell, but, if they’ve been flavored recently, they might.

Fjellrev

Oh yeah, that makes sense. All my 52teas blends smelled really alcohol-y when they first came in the mail.

Mercuryhime

I had wanted to try this one but I was discouraged by the stevia as well. The DT employee tried to assure me that it’s stevia leaf and not actually stevia so it wouldn’t be too sweet. I raised my eyebrow at this and pressed my lips together. Otherwise I might have said some unwise things. In any case, I wasn’t convinced. Good to know that I judged rightly.

LiberTEAS

I’m not a fan of it when companies add stevia to a tea. I like to choose whether or not I am going to sweeten a tea … and when I do choose to sweeten, I rarely (practically never) choose stevia as my sweetener, as I am not fond of the aftertaste. Stevia leaf does taste better than the processed powder (which is processed from the stevia leaf), but, I still prefer a pinch of sugar to stevia. Even with the calories.

Indestructible

Agreed on the Stevia – it should be up to us. I think what they were going for was a Neapolitan type of ice-cream cake (if that exists?)

Comments

LiberTEAS

Fjellrev

Mercuryhime

Indestructible

81 – 100: WOW. This is the cream of the crop.
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada