Now THIS has a smell – strawberry matcha is bold and in your face once opened. It reminds me of strawberry lollipops and other strawberry candies. Definitely doesn’t smell like a fresh strawberry, but that’s okay since it isn’t one. I am thinking right off the bat that I will like this one better cold as the idea of hot strawberry is a little iffy, but I try everything hot first cuz that’s how I like my tea.

Sifted and whisked up 1/2 teaspoon of this bad boy, the steeped smell puts me in mind of a strawberry bath bomb. Unfortunately that means it smells good in theory but is not at all something you would want to ingest. I feel like I am about to eat playdough or something else equally ill prepared for human consumption.

The taste does not match the aroma (thank God!) but the aroma is there in my nostrils and not going away. I don’t get a taste of chemicals, but neither do I get the sweet strawberry I hoped for. Actually, I don’t get a lot of anything. There is that light bitterness I seem to find in all matchas but not a whole lot else. As I continue to drink, I get more of a buildup of flavour, unfortunately what is building up puts me in mind of chemicals. Ugh.

I’m going to add a drop of honey and see if that makes any drastic changes. With honey, the smell is the same but the taste has improved marginally. Now it tastes like slightly honey flavoured chemical waeter. With the foam I actually feel a bit like I’m drinking the suds in a bubble bath. Okay, this will be one to try cold, or as an addition to a smoothie. After having tried 4 flavoured matchas and 1 unflavoured, I am coming to the conclusion that matcha isn’t for me. Luckily, the beau likes it and will use it all up but I wish I hadn’t invested in it. It upsets my tummy sometimes too, which is annoying. I don’t know why green teas hate me, but it’s disappointing.

CHAroma

Sorry this tea didn’t agree with you. :( But if you need to find it a new home, I’d be happy to offer mine! ;)

Oh noes! :(

Uniquity

I’m thinking my fiancee will be all over it, but if we both don’t like it, I’ll get in touch, Charoma!

No worries. :)

DaisyChubb

Do you have the chocolate matcha? They go together pretty well!

Mercuryhime

I’ve tried two fruit ones from red leaf and they both tasted like chemicals to me. The desserty ones are great thought. Try a black matcha base with a non fruit flavor. Maybe you’ll like it better. :)

Indigobloom

First time I tried this, I didn’t like it either. In fact I haven’t reviewed it yet for that reason. But today… I tried it using the shaken bottle method and cut down the powder by half, it seems to work! for me anyhow. A little on the tart side, which I like

Babble

I’m the opposite, I actually like the fruit ones and not the desert-y ones. Then again I’ve just had boysenberry and black cherry (not strawberry… yet)

Comments

CHAroma

Oh noes! :(

Uniquity

No worries. :)

DaisyChubb

Do you have the chocolate matcha? They go together pretty well!

Mercuryhime

Indigobloom

Babble

41 – 60: Not likely to keep drinking…hoping hubby will enjoy!
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada