drank Keemun Mao Feng by Harney & Sons

Enjoying some of the remains of this sample which was generously supplied by SimplyJenW many moons ago. I remember really liking it and hoarding the remains for some sort of good tea apocalypse. Steeped, the liquor is a light orange, I’m surprised at how light it is, actualy. The aroma is very bold with a strong cocoa note and a sense of bitterness, but that could be the cocoa I’m picking up on.

First sips yield a bold rich cocoa that quickly morphs into a sweet note with a hint of spice in there. Cinnamon is my first thought, as it so frequently is. It’s like I am drinking three distinct things but they are coming through in that order. This is even more remarkable than my memory of it led me to believe. I am getting absolutely no bitterness and not any discernible astringency, just cocoa, something sweet and something cinnamon. Fantastic!

I just looked this up on the Harney site and though it is definitely a delicious tea I was surprised at the price. $20 for 2 oz is about $20 for 50 grams – it is definitely good, but that price is unbelievable. For $10/ounce I would probably rather pick up some Verdant Tea but I am really glad to have this sample still. Thanks again SimplyJen!

TheTeaFairy

Well it does seem a little pricey! There really good Keemuns out here for a lot less, my personal favorites are from Teavivre. I find the quality to be exceptional for the price! Good for you that got to try this one as a sample though :)

Uniquity

I just checked and I really enjoyed the Premium Keemun Hao Ya from them…but for some reason didn’t order more! I’m thinking the beau told me I have enough tea. : )

SimplyJenW

When I bought mine it was $24 for 4 oz…. I think the new price is a little too high for me. Luckily, I still have some!

Uniquity

@SimplyJen – I thought it used to be much lower. Maybe the new crop is super exceptional! :)

SimplyJenW

Either it is super exceptional, or growing conditions for that season made it not as plentiful….

Comments

TheTeaFairy

SimplyJenW

41 – 60: Not likely to keep drinking…hoping hubby will enjoy!
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada