Okay. A coworker gave me some of this to try a month or two ago but I have been so afraid of it that I held off trying until today. I used a scant teaspoon in my perfect tea mug for 3 or 4 minutes and am rewarded with a golden amber brew that smells like a campfire. This is feeling a bit more like a punishment than a reward, but maybe I’ll like it.

Over the past few years I have come to enjoy and even embrace a light smoke note in tea. Note the word light. This is POW. This might have my coworkers wondering if the office is on fire. Oy. Initially, I get a sweet taste that morphs into smoked ham. Then I am left with a mouth full of ashtray. Hm. The ashtray thing isn’t actually as bad as it sounds, but it isn’t good either. I’m clinging to the sweetness of the tea under all the smoke as if it were a lifeboat. I can drink this, but I really don’t think I want to. I do really want some smoked ham now…

whatshesaid

That sounds revolting…. I was literally just wondering why Lapsang Souchong tasted like, sounds like I’m better off not knowing

KeenTeaThyme

Permission to dump & rinse out the mug granted. This is one of those teas I just can’t stomach. You’re right – it’s an ashtray scent.

Uniquity

I keep smelling it on myself. Like all forms of smoke, it really clings. I think my mug is mostly scentless (it’s glass and metal) but my hands, hair and sweater all seem to have retained a trace!

oOTeaOo

I completely understand! I keep trying to give Lapsang souchong another chance, but to me it is like drinking bacon in a bad way. My husband seems to like it, so thats the only reason this tea exists in our cupboard >_<

Kittenna

Ashtray?! That is not cool! I love smoke, and sometimes burned things, but ashtray-burny is revolting. The one time my roomie burnt evaporated milk on the stove, it tasted like ashtray, which completely ruined her rice pudding :( Usually we just eat our burned creations, but this was unpalatable.

TheTeaFairy

I so agree with you on this one! Someone here on Steepster had suggested to pair it with DT Oh Canada, the idea of maple and smoke sounded interesting but I’m still fearful to even open the pouch!

Maxime-Daniel Friðrikson

This tea need to be steeped light, if there’s too much leaves, the taste felt muddy or disgusting.

Comments

whatshesaid

KeenTeaThyme

Uniquity

oOTeaOo

Kittenna

TheTeaFairy

Maxime-Daniel Friðrikson

81 – 100: WOW. This is the cream of the crop.
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada