drank Organic Ceylon by Butiki Teas

I am (apparently) easily confused and had been thinking that I had the non organic version of this tea. According to the label though, we’re drinking organic today! In my dietary habits I am more concerned with local than organic (I know too much about how the term is bandied about in North America to really believe in its efficacy) but it is nice to believe that organic teas are truer to the meaning of the movement.

In the pouch, this one has a very sharp smell that catches in the nose and sticks with you. I have had few ceylons before but found them generally sharp though smooth and easy drinking with little bitterness and no astringency. None of my beloved cocoa but frequently with honey. These qualities are what I assume make up a ceylon, so we will see how this goes.

Steeped, this yields a warm orange cup with a strong sweet note that makes me think of brown sugar. Very nice aroma, again not like my usual Chinese blacks but very attractive on its own merits. The taste is a bit less than the aroma but I do get a (muted) sense of the leaves. This is much like a standard bagged orange pekoe but done right. No bitterness or astringency, no dust or grains that make my face screw up. Just a solid tea. I don’t know that it would stand up well to additions, I think it would be easily over-powered but since I don’t mess with my tea, that’s okay. It might be interesting to see what it is like with a bit of brown sugar to try to bring out that aroma from before, but I won’t mess with that.

In the end this is a very nice tea but a bit too mild to capture my attention for every day. It might be a good tea to bring bagged tea drinkers into the light, but since I rarely make tea for non tea drinkers, I don’t really need to have it on hand once I have finished it. Cheers!